Job Title: Head of IT
Location: Hybrid working- Home/Toronto
Reporting level: Senior Management Team
Reports to: CTO
The Head of IT will provide strong technical leadership across all of our locations and possess the ability to design and implement technological architecture by collaborating with and leading our technology staff around the globe. Strategic thinking, dynamic leadership, high-level communication skills, and a strong focus on delivering and outstanding artist experience so teams can work seamlessly without disruption and with maximum efficiency.
The Head of IT is well-versed in current software and technological trends in traditional visual effects workflows, as well as next generation software, hardware and cloud services related to content creation and virtual production.
This person will have a technical experience and have worked in the VFX (or similar) industry and have a wide range of technical experiences, from render process and management to IT and pipeline processes.
• Manage and unify the IT structure globally.
• Establish and promote consistent best practice globally
• Manage the team to develop and maintain a toolkit for users to refer to, with workflows, software, processes and 'how to guides' available to enable a smooth user experience.
• Responsible for ensure artist compliance with security requirements including phishing awareness training, cyber security training as required and onsite physical security (cameras)
• Manage global software licensing in collaboration with Finance.
• Identify ways to improve efficiencies and reduce costs related to software
• Monitor and report KPIs and IT budgets to assess technological performance.
• Guide internal departments on how to use technology efficiently and profitably.
• Responsible for ensuring IT systems and infrastructure is in place for a seamless artist experience remotely and in studio.
• Identify solutions to recurring IT issues and ensure technical limitations experienced are minimised for staff allowing them to work without disruption.
• Responsible ensuring the provision of kit for the crew as required to meet the needs of the show/business ensuring the IT team are maintaining a IT/tech kit register of assets.
• Provide regular IT support team performance reports to the CTO.
• Create and implement department policies and procedures together with Supervisors and Production
• Recruit, train, and mentor the Helpdesk team, conducting regular 1-2-1s and holding performance reviews.
• Work closely with Production, Supervisors, Studio Heads and HR to understand and forecast future technology needs, offering solutions and delivering high levels of IT support in delivery.
• Responsible for the scheduling to ensure sufficient desk team coverage to meet show and business needs, including out of hours requirements where needed
• Lead discussions with department heads to improve the user experience
• As part of the Senior team, set strategic targets and goals to continuously improve user experience.
• Provide user data or any other data as requested by the CTO – to include software/licensing needs.
Qualifications and attributes
• Computer Science or IT related degree. 10 years plus of experience as a leader in the information technology space, preferably in the VFX/Anim/Post Production sector
• Deep technical knowledge of IT Infrastructure (on premise and cloud) and operations in a digital content creation environment.
• Proven experience in a IT leadership role in visual effects, animation or postproduction across multiply locations.
• Understanding and familiarity with cloud-based platforms: MS Office 365, ShotGrid, etc.
• Strong prioritization skills to ensure the highest levels of support to the business and each user
• Effective communication skills and the ability to translate tech-speak to something that end users can easily understand both in conversation and in written format
• Ability to problem solve to determine and fix root-cause
• Experience working in a fast-paced, technical environment
• Ability to maintain flexible hours to provide support for offices in multiple time-zones
• Outstanding Customer Service focus with the ability to support users with their needs in a friendly and efficient manner.
• Strong communication and leadership skills.
• Desirable but not essential, knowledge of the latest technological trends in hardware and software for VFX and ICVFX.
• Experience leading technology teams across multiple locations.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g66vz9-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.