Sr. Manager, Corporate Security & Operations
Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Team: Office of the President
The Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is a leader, advisor, advocate, catalyst for change, and institutional resource focused on infusing accountability for DEI into all programs and activities across PBS. Reporting directly to the PBS President & CEO's office with direct liaison to HR and Station Services, the candidate will have authority and access to resources to map and implement diversity, equity and inclusion practices across the organization in alignment with PBS mission. The candidate will champion diversity, equity and inclusion actions that impact policies, work culture, programming, staffing, marketing, and business decisions. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with the PBS Station Services team to participate as a leader and influencer for our member stations and public media system.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Promote Diversity in the Workplace
• Provide advice and support to leadership in developing and embedding inclusive practices into all aspects of PBS' business, promoting a culture of equity for all.
• With the CEO, lead the activities of the CEO DEI Council, including establishing council charter, developing agendas, facilitating meetings, and directing work. Periodically conduct an assessment of the Council's effectiveness relative to chartered responsibilities, challenges and barriers encountered during the period, and recommendations for solutions.
• Partner closely with Human Resources to ensure HR priorities align with diversity, equity and inclusion strategies, including recruitment, career support and progression, policies, compensation, performance, leadership development, employee engagement, and retention.
• Coach leaders and managers on best practices to help foster a company climate that respects and values diversity and inclusion among employees by building engagement, continually developing our culture, and meeting the needs of varied abilities and learning approaches of employees.
• Set goals and measure and analyze results of PBS' diversity, equity and inclusion practices and programs • Partner with corporate communications to shape internal communication strategies to promote employee engagement, inclusion and regularly communicate internal and external diversity and inclusion activities, events, and progress.
• Elevate Content and Perspectives across the PBS ecosystem
• Amplify the ongoing work of our General Audience and Kids programming teams to demonstrate inclusiveness in our programming and our culture, so that audiences and communities can see themselves authentically reflected in our work.
• Work with the Station Services team to advocate for and support on-going education and training programs aimed at strengthening inclusive behaviors and promoting equitable development opportunities for PBS member stations.
• Align business practices and corporate governance with DEI objectives
• Liaise with the Chief Legal Officer to ensure programs, policies and practices adhere to federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Support the Diversity Advisory Committee of the PBS Board.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum of 8 years experience in HR Advisory AND/OR management with emphasis on designing and implementing best practices regarding Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
• Bachelor's degree with major course work in Human Resources Management, Employment Law, Psychology or related field.
• Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all levels within the organization, and implement solutions while keeping all partners and leaders informed.
• Demonstrated experience in a role requiring the development, leadership and implementation of diversity and inclusion strategies within a corporate environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, leadership and motivational skills required.
• Must be highly collaborative in support of business objectives.
• Must have the ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships and to coach managers and employees.
• Must be able to prepare comprehensive reports and represent ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Must be proficient in MS Outlook, TEAMS, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work is essential Desired
• Advanced studies in counseling, psychology, social work, instructional technology and training, human resource management, organizational development, or a related field would be ideal.
• SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) and other specific HR certifications with preference to DE&I and/or employee relations.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.