Production Assistant, Presents
The Visuals team at NPR works across all of our content areas, news, programming, music and podcasts. The Production Assistant will collaborate with Visual producers to develop story ideas for videos, photo essays, and visual story-telling for platforms like Instagram and TikTok, including adapting longer form video for a wide array of visual platforms. They will develop, conceive and execute original visual content from pitch through publication with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor storytelling for young and diverse audiences. This position will require working nights, weekends and holidays as needed. This position reports to the Senior Supervising Editor for Visuals.
• Produce, shoot and edit photography and video for visual platforms, clearly communicating the vision, project goals, narrative scope and timeline for each production.
• Advanced knowledge of social and streaming platforms, accompanying formats and best practices.
• Research story ideas and fact check supporting materials maintaining NPR editorial and ethical guidelines.
• Perform post-production work including: adding text and graphics, sound design, and color correction.
• Work Location- NPR-Washington DC
• Willingness to work flexible hours. Occasional travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• 2-3 years of photographic storytelling and video production experience, preferably with a major network or newsroom, studio or creative agency.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud programs related to video, photo and design. (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing audience diversity.
• Be well versed in copyright and ethical journalism practices
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Have a strong interest in current events
• Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Comfortable being on camera.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb77e6-3-238-173-209-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.