News Assistant, Throughline Podcast
Editorial/Production Assistant (Limited Term Assignment)
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We need editorial and production assistants, to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment with some of the best journalists in the business.
Your creative ideas, ability to edit audio, write news and program copy as well as your familiarity with digital and social content will keep our listeners informed while helping to shape the sound of NPR's programs. Successful candidates will be primarily assigned to fill long term temporary assignments on NPR's news magazine shows; Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, and Weekend All Things Considered. This assignment will require essential on-site shifts at our Washington, DC headquarters. Shifts will rotate through dayside, mid-day and overnights.
This is a temporary onsite role.
• Books guests
• Generates story ideas
• Edits and mixes audio
• Prepares scripts
• Writes news and program copy
• Delivers digital content as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
• At least 2 years' experience in journalism
• At least 1 years' experience in broadcast journalism
• Intermediate ability to edit audio
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline.
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering tool
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including overnight and weekends
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Experience in radio broadcasting
• Experience in a demanding and fast-paced newsroom
• Experience with multiple digital audio workstations
• Experience in news journalism
• Familiarity with public radio
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.