Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR's Digital Content team is looking for a highly motivated Production Assistant who has multi-platform experience. This role will assist in production duties on the show, All Things Considered, including publishing and distributing a daily lineup of the show's stories and interviews called the rundown. The production assistant will also assist with reporting and writing stories for the web. The ideal candidate is someone who can work comfortably under daily deadlines in both the digital and broadcast worlds. Strong spelling, grammar and headline-writing skills are essential for this position. The job requires a 40-hour week that includes evenings and some holidays.
• Produces the daily All Things Considered show rundown for NPR's digital platforms and communicates with NPR member stations about stories that will be featured on each day's show
• Writes brief synopses and headlines to highlight interviews and other show content
• Demonstrates excellent spelling, grammar and headline-writing skills and a strong knowledge of Associated Press style
• Reports and writes digital stories as necessary
• Works under tight daily deadlines
• Assists with web production of stories as necessary
• Ability and willingness to work evenings, some holidays and occasional weekends as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience; a journalism degree is preferred.
• Minimum of 1 year of journalism experience
• Familiarity with specialty topics such as world news, business, sports, science, music or arts
• Solid, independent news judgment
• Demonstrated skills in writing headlines and teaser copy
• Strong knowledge of Associated Press style
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work independently and with members of a team
• Ability to have effective oral communication skills
• Ability and willingness to work an assigned shift, including nights, weekends and holidays
• Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate and/or work remotely. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Daily news experience
• Experience working under breaking news conditions
• Knowledge of audio production
• Managing complexity
• Learning agility
• Flexibility with ambiguity
• Building stakeholder relationships
• Problem solving skills
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyke5k-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.