The Director of Newsroom Training and Development is responsible for creating and executing the Nexstar local newsroom training plan. The initial focus of training is on Producers, both entry level and those with 2 or more years' experience. The person filling this role will create a training program for entry level Producers to learn core skillsets and provide insight to help them succeed. They will also launch a program to retain experienced Producers by helping them expand their leadership and management skillsets with the goal of becoming the future newsroom leaders in Nexstar.
The Ideal candidate has a strong background in producing local broadcast news, as well as a proven record of mentoring and teaching others in a local newsroom environment. Current position as a Senior Producer or Executive Producer who works on daily content required.
Job duties include:
• Working with the Director of News Management Development in creating the training programs and course schedule
• Working with local newsroom leadership to identify participants in training programs
• Leading regularly scheduled training sessions using virtual meeting technology
• Traveling to markets or regions for in-person training as assigned by the Director of News Management Development
• Communicating participant progress to local newsroom leadership
• Currently works as an Executive Producer, Senior Producer or Producer
• Has 5+ years' experience producing local newscasts
• Has a proven record of training and mentoring Producers
• Understanding of newsroom workflow for various market sizes
• Strong writing skills
• Strong journalism knowledge and editorial decision making abilities
• Strong control room skills during a live broadcast
• Knowledge of newsroom systems used by Producers, such as ENPS, iNews, automation
• Understands how to communicate both broadly through group emails and video calls, and one-on-one to newsroom leadership
• Works proactively with minimal need for direction or supervision
• Has the ability to travel frequently for onsite training
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbevke-3-234-244-105-42 in your application.