NewsNation, America's fastest growing cable news network, is looking for an assignment editor/editorial coordinator to join our DC Bureau team. The DC Assignment Editor would work with the DC Bureau and closely with Chicago and NY control rooms in serving as an editorial go to for minute-by-minute information and distribution for live and upcoming events in the nation's capital. The candidate would be familiar with day of coverage plans and would support short term and long term planning for our local and national journalists covering the issues important to our viewers across the country. We are looking for someone who is familiar with the DC political landscape, works well under pressure, is organized, comes with ideas and is efficient with prioritizing and using resources effectively.
• Maintains a daily understanding of the events in Washington DC that will impact coverage and rise to the level of being taken live on-air.
• Responsible for being familiar with and communicating key speakers and witnesses in congressional hearings; major press conferences and network pool events.
• Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance communications from Washington DC to the various NewsNation control rooms and assignment desks.
• Work closely with managers, producers, reporters, and photographers to plan coverage and coordinate assignments.
• Will maintain a coverage calendar, coordinate production resources, and maintain contact with Chicago HQ desk.
• Will develop contacts with event planners, government offices and schedulers, and coordinate press access and clearance.
• Is curious, knows the next question that needs to be asked and puts the network in a position to move a story forward by knowing the events that will do so.
• Works with managers and producers to ensure all content deadlines are being met.
• Must be willing to work flexible shift/schedule during breaking news or special events coverage.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Ability to work well under deadline pressure and remain calm, articulating clearly what is happening.
• An in-depth knowledge of the institutions and workings of Washington DC
• Strong news and editorial judgment
• Ability to work in a team environment or independently depending on the assignment
• Interpersonal skills and excellent collaboration skills
• Familiarity with network pool structure and transmission lines a plus
• 5-7 years work experience on the assignment desk, producing and/or news leadership.
• National and Washington DC experience a plus.
Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems
Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmj99x-18-207-240-77-42 in your application.