Director, Social Impact and Philanthropy Operations
New York, NY
The Counsel, Employment Contracts, will draft and negotiate personal services contracts for on-air and off-air News and Sports talent and executives, and provide legal counsel to business leaders, Human Resources, and management executives on talent contract-related matters.
• Draft and negotiate employment and related contracts for on-air talent and off-air talent for NBC Sports, Golf Channel, NBCUniversal News Group (NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC), Telemundo and NBCUniversal owned and operated television stations.
• Draft and negotiate executive employment agreements across various NBCUniversal business divisions.
• Draft and negotiate other talent and employment related agreements, including separation agreements, consulting agreements, and other commercial arrangements.
• Negotiate with outside agents and lawyers in connection with talent contracts and related issues.
• Advise business leaders and human resources on talent and executive contract-related issues.
• Coordinate with employment lawyers on any relevant employment law issues including in connection with reductions in force, employment policies, disabilities and leaves of absence, discrimination and harassment claims, wage-and-hour issues, and employment-related aspects of corporate transactions.
• Represent NBCUniversal, working with other NBCUniversal attorneys and outside counsel as appropriate, with respect to negotiation of disputes, mediation and litigation of talent and employment contract related claims.
• Monitor federal, state, and local legislative developments and advise on compliance with same.
• Create and deliver management and employee training programs, including negotiation strategies and practices.
• Partner with Labor Relations on various matters involving union represented employees.
• Law degree
• Minimum of 4 years of top tier law firm and/or in-house legal experience
• Member in good standing of the State Bar of New York or member in good standing of another State Bar and able to register as New York In-House Counsel
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent interpersonal skills which enable him/her to maintain positive interactions with a range of personalities and to establish effective relationships at all levels of the organization, as well as with the agents and attorneys representing NBCUniversal talent and executives
• Ability to approach complex legal scenarios in a thoughtful and analytical fashion
• Ability to explain complex legal concepts, build consensus, think creatively and collaborate with clients to address business needs.
• Self-motivated, able and willing to prioritize work and to effectively address urgent requests from high level corporate and production executives
• Experience drafting and negotiating employment contracts and/or talent contracts
• Experience in the entertainment industry business/legal affairs