New York, NY
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
NBC News Digital is hiring a political editor to work on major stories about politics and government in Washington and around the nation, focusing on local and national issues that include racial and economic inequality, cultural and religious divisions, emerging voter trends, and the role of money and business in politics.
The politics editor will work closely with the senior politics editor and other politics and news editors, with teams of political reporters, and with NBC's extensive resources on its network and cable platforms who are involved in political coverage.
Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The politics editor will be responsible for spot/breaking news, as well as originally reported political enterprise pieces and news features. For breaking news, the politics editor will have the ability to craft alerts in minutes, operate quickly to publish short stories, have a keen eye for leads and the skill to write sharp headlines fast, know how to build out a story rapidly after first publication and have a keen radar for spotting breaking political news and emerging storylines.
For enterprise stories, the politics editor will be a font of original story ideas to capture interesting trends and developments on the 2020 campaign trail and post-election cycle, including stories that illuminate how race and identity play a central role in American politics, and demonstrating the know-how to execute the stories in a timely fashion.
• Play a major role in NBC News.com's coverage of the 2020 election cycle and the post-election landscape.
• Work with political reporters to support their reporting and help make their stories better.
• Handle breaking news and generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles for the big stories of the day.
• Ensure the tone of and mix of stories is in line with NBC News Digital editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News Digital.
• Share information and collaborate with all NBC News platforms in a timely fashion.
• 2 or more years editing politics at a regional or national
newspaper, magazine, or digital news organization.
• 4 or more years of professional journalism experience.