Remote / Virtual
Founded in 2001, MR. X is an award-winning visual effects company specializing in High-Concept series episodic and feature films. With years long relationships with some of Hollywood's top creators, MR. X has delivered the visual effects for critically acclaimed titles like; The Shape of Water, Roma, American Gods and Vikings, to name a few. By partnering with our clients through every stage of their project, we help shape and guide what makes it to the screen, in some of the world's most exciting film and television content. MR. X has facilities in Toronto, Montreal, Bangalore, Los Angeles and Adelaide, with a combined staff of over 800 filmmakers, artists, and programmers. We are MR. X. Partners in storytelling.
We have an opening for a Senior Software Developer to contribute to the design and implementation of our Data Model supporting strong front-end UX via Web/Desktop Apps driving graphics technologies like USD, Houdini/Solaris.
As a senior engineer you will be expected to have, and granted to exercise, a high degree of autonomy and to make significant contributions to the design of components, and affect the global roadmap. You must be able to also understand the importance of outcomes and empathise with internal and external clients. It's important to have, or be willing to develop, a delivery-driven mind set coupled with the ability to move with agility between streams in stages ranging from prototype to maintenance. We are looking for an experienced engineer that works well in a global team of peers; who communicates complex and technical topics to both explain and understand differing points of view. Mentoring more junior team members and participating in cross functional teams and efforts is a must. Being considerate and assertive are very important qualities at this level of operations.
• Work with, and inform, leadership to shape the technical implementation and architecture or key client services in the pipeline
• Help leadership to track progress and outcomes, and provide key insight when a change of direction is needed
• Contribute to the design and implementation of the Data Model underpinning assets and scenes
• Design and/or contribute to tools for conforming, composition, and exchange across stages of production, departments, authoring and consumption environments
• Mentor, support and enable production TDs to help resolve issues and solve problems
• Contribute to developer facing or user facing documentation as applicable
• Operate as a domain specialist and point person for multiple teams or projects when applicable
Required Skills and Experience
• Proven experience in high end VFX or AAA Game setting
• Experience in a graphics, pipeline or tool development role
• STEM Degree or demonstrable equivalent knowledge; as related to problem solving, analysis, and system design
• Late intermediate to advanced knowledge of C++ and Python languages and development environments
• Demonstrable knowledge operating and implementation for a VFX DCC (eg. Houdini, Maya, Nuke)
• Strong understanding and some experience working with USD directly
• Understanding and/or experience with data platforms, standards, databases and tools (eg. Atlas, Kafka, Akka, REST, Elastic, SQL, Influx, Graph Databases, etc.)
• Experience and vision around the structuring, estimating and implementing large Data/Pipeline projects
• Experience with structured development operations (agile, ticketing, reportage, version control etc.)
• Understanding of and the ability to operate in a structured DevOps context
• Basic skills in GUI/UX development, and willingness to occasionally develop PoC level frames to demonstrate or propose concepts and ideas
• Familiarity with modern structured development practices, documentation needs, and the tools that support them is very important
• Highly committed and able to transition between independent work and team participation
• Be self sufficient with a good self-starter attitude with an emphasis on learning, sharing and mentoring team members
• Organized and methodical with an ability to communicate efficiently within a global technical team
Optional Skills and Experience
• The following qualities will be highly regarded but are not required. Some of the below might become necessary learning experiences on the job dependent on time and resources, team and circumstances
• Experience in any creative department or a strong understanding and ability to relate to the needs and operations of TDs and/or artists
• GUI/UX development and a related framework (Qt preferred) DevOps related experience
• Knowledge of a game engine, operation and/or development (Unreal preferred)
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.