Experience counts. Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Engine Programmer to join our Core team, responsible for our studio's game engine and tools. This is a position that involves both management and technical components. If you have experience and interest in leading teams in the development of any technical area of game development, we'd love to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Directs a team of programmers in the design and development of game engine technology
• Maintains familiarity with the capabilities and limitations of specific game platform hardware
• Researches and prototypes forward-looking strategic technical opportunities outside of existing project priorities
• Supports team members with tasks not critical to project schedules, as necessary
• Ensures sufficient documentation for the team's area of responsibility
• Works proactively with production teams to analyze and address development challenges and communicate priorities
• Educates production teams on technology and engine functionality
• Maintains current knowledge of technological developments in the game industry
• Contributes innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game development
• Advises, mentors, and assists other programmers across the studio
• Independently recognizes opportunities to improve our games, tools, engine or general workflow, and seek to make these changes, either individually or via team direction
• Collaborates with project management to maintain a schedule that meets project goals and deadlines, maintains a sustainable workload, and integrates well with other department schedules
• Collaborates with department leadership to develop and grow department, and helps facilitate the career growth of team
• Collaborates with Insomniac studio leadership to enforce studio cultural values and foster a positive work environment
• Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment
• Assists the department head with staffing strategy, hiring, and onboarding of new employees
• Other duties may be assigned
Directly supervises programming team. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; resolving problems in collaboration with Director, Core.
Education and/or Experience:
• At least ten years of professional experience or training, and/or an equivalent amount of education and experience– i.e., a Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; and six years' experience
• Must have managed a small team of developers
• Fluency in C++, and experience with C and assembly programming
• Experience working with analytical tools like PIX, Telemetry, and other debugging software
• Ability to apply mathematical concepts to practical computing problems like graphical rendering, collision detection, spatial navigation, character animation, and the like
• Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases
• Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems
• Strong grasp of mathematical concepts and analysis techniques as they apply to game engine programming
If you are looking to have a lasting impact, we look forward to hearing from you. Please use the link below and apply directly to the role. Thanks!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx3491-3-236-98-69-42 in your application.