Insomniac Games is searching for a Lead Character Artist to join our team of talented artists. The Lead Character Artist will maintain established quality and artistic consistency of character art, by high visual standards and project style as defined by Art Director. This candidate has an understanding of memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, programming, animation, and design concerns, understands lighting basics, and sets best practices for bug fixing. They are also responsible for the career management, training, and well-being of Character team, as well as the management of offsite contractors and vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Manages the well-being of the character team through regular check-ins, performance management and career mentorship
• Works closely with Art Director to keep quality and style consistent across all characters
• Provides direction to character artists for aesthetic and technical considerations
• Sets the tone for character creation with advanced technique
• Maintains a clear and consistent schedule in conjunction with the Project Manager
• Works closely with the Tool and Engine team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve character model quality
• Participates in the planning for project environments
• Monitors the needs of rigging, animation, and design to ensure clean handoff for assets
• Works with concept team to insure concepts are at proper production quality
• Supervise bug distribution and verify bug fixes
• Other duties may be assigned
• The Character Lead schedules the team, reviews work for quality, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience: Fifth year college or university program certificate; or seven plus years related experience and/or training in video games or film; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Expert understanding of Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Mudbox, and ZBrush (or equivalent)
• Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models
• Advanced understanding of complex node based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3, Mental Mill, etc.
• Basic understanding of GgFX, HLSL, or Cg from a technical artist's perspective
• Understanding of Perforce
• Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory
• The ability to work with detailed concept art or reference art/ materials
• Advanced knowledge of human and animal anatomy
• Strong traditional painting skills and the ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized
• Strong leadership and mentoring abilities and interpersonal skills
• Ability to find creative solutions for technically challenging tasks
Do you think you have what it takes?! If so, please apply below for our Lead Character Artist role, we look forward to reviewing your submission.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy7b2p-3-215-79-116-42 in your application.