Fox Television Stations is one of the nation's largest owned-and-operated network broadcast groups, comprising 29 stations in 18 markets and covering over 37% of US television homes. This includes seven duopolies in the top 10 markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, DC and Houston; as well as duopolies in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Orlando and Seattle.
KRIV, the Fox O&O in Houston, TX, is seeking a meteorologist who is an excellent, knowledgeable and professional communicator and presenter that explains weather conditions and helps the viewers prepare for their day or for a severe weather event. Use weather data from several sources to interpret and then verbally and visually present current weather conditions and forecasts for broadcast, digital and social channels. Has the ability to 'tell the weather story' and interpret weather and climate trends for the layman; not simply just refer to weather graphics and maps. Must be able to report live in the field during weather events as well as features. Must be able to contribute packages for weather specials and special projects. Must have a passion for winning weather and making the station's weather team the most watched and relied on in the Houston market.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Use station's weather equipment, radar and graphics effectively and creatively to produce and present weather information.
• Deliver information in a clear, understandable and pleasant voice, using proper phrasing, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and emotional range.
• Must be a strong communicator (written and oral) and possess a pleasant on air personality
• Work effectively live in studio, on location or in taped settings.
• Be active on social media; engage viewers; promote stories in newscasts and on websites.
• Effectively communicate emergency weather information to the public in a clear, calm and concise manner.
• Stays abreast of current and developing weather technology, equipment and industry changes.
• Make recommendations to the News Director and the News Operations Manager on equipment, software needs and in advance for any potential budget planning purposes.
• Work on multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
• Work effectively with news management and newsroom personnel to develop content and production of newscasts and digital content
• Work effectively with a team of studio personnel, including production techs, floor directors, and engineers.
• Act as ambassador for the station to foster public goodwill.
• Adhere to all professional broadcast journalism standards in regard to legal and ethical issues for on air and digital.
• Display and maintain professional appearance and demeanor, based on newsroom standards.
• Other duties as assigned
A minimum of five years' experience working as a weather anchor in a medium or large market preferred. Bachelor's degree in meteorology, atmospheric science or related field preferred. AMS Seal or NWS certification preferred. Hurricane and severe weather forecasting experience a plus. Working knowledge of weather and newsroom computers. Ability to ad-lib effectively with news anchors. Good news judgment and knowledge of fair and accurate journalism practices. Excellent people, writing and communication skills; must be a team player. Candidate must be able to work flexible hours; overnights, early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays may be required.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3ve8n-3-84-132-40-42 in your application.