Counsel / Sr. Counsel, Nbcu News Group
New York, NY
We are looking for a skilled information specialist whose focus is legal research. You will work closely with key members of the organization to research, analyze and break down newsworthy legal issues and cases in the news. This specialist will also provide well-sourced, detailed information that confirms facts, adds context, and informs our national audience.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Break down newsworthy court cases and legal issues into layman's terms
• Produce briefing books and backgrounders that will be distributed throughout the organization
• Provide information for special projects and planned events like Congressional hearings, elections, and topical town halls
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• 2+ years of experience in a research role or strong internships in a professional live news environment
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including regular weekend hours, early mornings or evenings, and holidays
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments under tight deadlines
• Research experience using PACER, Lexis-Nexis, Factiva, Accurint, and other research databases.
• Strong knowledge of criminal law and procedure
• Familiarity with legal procedure and the federal court system
• Ability to interpret law and regulations into layman's terms
• Ability to clearly and concisely explain the significance of cases, including those before the US Supreme Court
• Ability to compare statutes and regulations across jurisdictions, including constructing and updating 50 state surveys on a variety of topics (marijuana, minimum wage, capital punishment, etc.)
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT A DEAL BREAKER
• J.D. and Bachelor's degree
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyxvwm-3-236-51-151-42 in your application.
FOX News Media operates the FOX News Channel (FNC), FOX Business Network (FBN), FOX News Digital, FOX News Audio, FOX News Books, the direct-to-consumer digital streaming services FOX Nation and FOX News International and the recently announced AVOD platform FOX Weather. Currently the number one network in all of cable, FNC has also been the most watched television news channel for 19 consecutive years, while FBN currently ranks among the top business channels on cable. Owned by FOX Corporation, FOX News Media reaches 200 million people each month.