Los Angeles, CA
The Senior Editor position is a managerial job in ESPN Digital Media's NBA group, working with our reporters and analysts to create smart, compelling content that serves all platforms. The position manages both people and process, and requires an understanding of a 24/7 news environment that includes desktop, mobile, social and personalized platforms. The right candidate will have a demonstrated ability to spot trends and turn stories around quickly. We are looking for someone who can tell great stories and write clearly. This role is responsible for tactical planning, providing vision and direction for digital sports coverage, and integrating with cross-platform entities including television, radio, production, etc. This job is based in Los Angeles.
• Direct a staff of editors and reporters in a highly competitive, rapidly changing environment.
• Work with other editors to create differentiating storytelling and event coverage in the NBA.
• Develop comprehensive coverage that includes video, audio, text and interactivity, and partnership with all appropriate ESPN properties.
• Recruit, hire and develop talented employees who are innovative storytellers that contribute to all of ESPN's platforms.
• Coordinate staffing assignments, editorial resources and process.
• Collaborate with design, product and technology managers on presentation and site enhancements.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends, technology and best practices in editing and how our readers consume our content.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends and best practices for visual storytelling.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge for SEO.
• Ensure all content meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements.
• Work with Sales to develop content with sponsorship potential.
• Identify opportunities for strategic growth in both revenue and traffic metrics.
• Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in editorial and content creation, including at least two years in people management.
• Understanding and appreciation of news, story play and trending topics.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and news judgment.
• Basic knowledge of the NBA.
• Appreciation of popular culture and an understanding of the tastes of ESPN's audiences.
• Experience working in a fast-paced newsroom and turning around stories on deadline.
• Deep knowledge of the NBA, WNBA and/or college basketball.
• Bachelor's Degree
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1oo6m-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.
ESPN, Inc. is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment entity featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities.