We're looking for the right combination of distinctive vision, editorial judgment, excellent technical, aesthetic and editing skills, plus high emotional intelligence. The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer will have a love for sports and great audio storytelling, want to push boundaries, discover new things and possess a deep understanding of why great audio programs work. You will foster greatness and emotion in the episodes created by the team.
The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer is the technical and sound-quality lead of a team executing the day-to-day editorial and production vision for the flagship ESPN Daily Podcast. Every weekday, this premium original content offers depth, insight and an original, enterprising approach to sports journalism. The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer makes sure that the sound of this program matches its high editorial and production ambition.
The role requires curiosity, a strong work ethic, a creative and inclusive approach to storytelling, coupled with best-in-class technical and sound editing/mixing skills. The ideal candidate is a talented sound designer who has a proven track record for editing high-quality storytelling content, problem-solving and working in a deadline-oriented environment. The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer plays a critical role in post-production; building timely, relevant episodes with fresh interviews, archival audio, natural sound and music while also being nimble enough to cover breaking news on next-day turnarounds. He/she consistently creates innovative, original and enterprising content for every segment and episode.
The new daily podcast will explain sports in a brand new way, going deeper into the stories of the moment, providing exclusive access to ESPN's award-winning reporting team on the front lines covering sports, ranging from our top insiders to our best storytellers and most relevant voices. More narrative than news, this new podcast brings fans the biggest stories in sports everyday as told by the best sports journalists and storytellers on the planet. Sports has never sounded better.
• Working with the Sr. Editorial Producers and the entire production team, the Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer ensures the project achieves the highest level of technical and aesthetic quality.
• The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer is the technical lead for the program, setting the technical standards for production, defining the needs for gear and equipment, and raising the bar for training, innovation and performance in the technical aspects of production.
• The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer is a creative force, developing the sonic and emotional character of episodes.
• Innovates in production technique and soundscape invention / execution where appropriate.
• Works closely with Producers to finalize technical and production aspects of the show.
• The Sr. Audio Engineer/Sound Designer must be an expert in the final stages of the production process – the mix, sound design, mastering, delivery, media management – and will be the lead to assure the highest standards.
• Participates in editorial planning of episodes.
• Reviews content, quality and production of program segments.
• Works closely with Producers and Associate Producers on archival content, music and natural sound.
• Drives the creative conception and development of editorial content from ideation to execution.
• Cultivate relationships with prospective talent and partners.
• Coordinates aspects of post-production program distribution.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years of experience in audio production and/or music recording/mixing.
• Extensive sound design, musical scoring and composition experience.
• Wide range of musical ability – acoustical and electronic with competency across a range of styles and genres.
• Extensive experience in studio set up and field recording gear.
• Expertise in digital editing using ProTools audio editing software.
• Demonstrated ability to train and mentor others.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of digital listening trends.
• Familiarity with ESPN content and a wide range of subject areas related to sports.
• Ability to work varied shifts.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Thrives in team setting.
• Knowledge of editing platforms (Avid, Adobe Suite, etc.)
• Knowledge of both Mac and PC operating systems.
• Bilingual (written and spoken) in both English and Spanish.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Studio Production, Music, Audio or related field
• Vocational School or related experience
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7ky36-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.