Los Angeles, CA
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company's best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ HotStar, as well as domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and The Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources while bringing creative ideas to life and creating industry-shaping approaches.
The Media Operations team is responsible for the planning, sourcing, processing and archiving of various types of media formats and content, including the distribution of on-air programming. This position can be assigned and will work within several different operational areas in this team.
The Lead Media Operator works with many business partners and customers within and outside of ESPN, including Production Control room personnel, remote production teams, and outside vendors. Work will be performed in a fast-paced environment and often under tight deadlines with a wide variety of content requirements. Lead Media operators will demonstrate proficient skills in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, processing media files for live and pre-recorded content across all ESPN linear and digital platforms. The Lead Media Operator will be responsible for recording, editing, playback, transcoding, cataloguing, and archiving of various media formats and server-based material while ensuring all content meets ESPN's standards for video and audio quality.
• Organization and distribution of all server content used for production and on-air programming.
• Validate proper video and audio quality during live and recorded programming, set up records of incoming feeds and clip/edit content for production and programming.
• Demonstrate knowledge in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology as assigned, including but not limited to, standard and high-definition operations, content management, linear and non-linear edit systems, encoding systems, server-based recordings/playback devices, server networking, tape deck and content duplication operations, broadcast routers, intercoms, planning of network content and media movement, EVS operations, and more.
• Operate in a fast paced, high pressure and deadline driven environment.
• Demonstrate proficiency with editing techniques on non-linear systems.
• Measure audio and video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations using comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods.
• Understand complex information and disseminate it to proper personnel in a clear and concise manner.
• Train others in operational areas and generate training assessments.
• Participate in learning opportunities that foster development for other operators.
• Participate in required administrative tasks including, but not limited to, the effective utilization of all DMED/ESPN software based applications (such as time entry, travel and expense filing,) and daily shift reporting.
• Embrace company initiatives including town and/or departmental meetings, upward feedback, performance management applications and employee surveys. Encourage others to do the same.
• Problem solving, troubleshooting and effective communication to best convey any issues needing resolution.
• Seek out information in regards to the workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Network and Production Operations, and utilize that information to enhance processes and/or educate others.
• Participate in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
• Minimum of 4 years practical TV Production or related experience at the large market or network level.
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Flexibility to alter shifts/days off and work overtime to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
• Candidates must have strong knowledge of broadcast infrastructure, signal flow and transmission operations.
• Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines and work independently.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills are a necessity.
• Organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required.
• Ability to initiate and lead projects especially with regards to training and enhancing business workflows.
• Ability to work as a part of a team dynamic.
• Must be willing and able to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
• Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc...) and strong written communication skills.
• Experience in a live production environment.
• Strong knowledge of server playback and non-linear editing systems such as Quantel.
• Understanding of format conversions, EVS, transcoding systems and file formats.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent.
• A College or Technical School degree in communications, electronics, television production or related field.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company's international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r11nny-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.
ESPN, Inc. is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment entity featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities.