The Associate Editor will be primarily responsible for editing and maintenance of ESPNDeportes.com's content feeds, mainly including interior content landing pages. On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (including wire services, partners, ESPN staffers, and freelancers, plus interactive elements, social media, audio, and video) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all sports page copy and headlines, provides feedback on all art and video, and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the site. Must be an excellent headline writer and able to present and tell stories in a tight space. Must show good judgment in prioritizing all online content for a national audience.
This position is full-time and is based in Bristol, CT.
Candidate MUST be fluent in both written and verbal Spanish and English.
• The Associate Editor will assess multiple stories on a daily basis. These will include managing an overall style and voice.
• Along with the daily programming roles, the Associate Editor will be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
• Associate Editors manage and track contributions from more ESPN reporters. Video contributions must be vetted in collaboration with the Digital Video team, and pushed into prominent spots on the site, on social media, and TV.
• The Associate Editor will work across multiple content and delivery platforms on to develop in-depth projects, feature packages, and daily content.
• Minimum of one (1) year working in sports media environment, including previous leadership roles (not necessary).
• Possess expert-level knowledge of one or more of Soccer, NFL, NBA, MLB, boxing, and MMA. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends, and writers covering the sport.
• Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
• Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
• Excellent headline writing skills, and an understanding of search engine optimization.
• Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical workday.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Expertise level writing, and editing in Spanish, and strong knowledge of writing and speaking in English.
• Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Sports takes place on nights, weekends, and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
• Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
• High School Diploma or GED
• College Degree in related field
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2e395-44-197-111-121-42 in your application.