Senior Engineering Manager
Remote / Virtual
Technical Director - Frostbite Rendering (Remote or Onsite)
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FROSTBITE RENDERING
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content, and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, and tablets.
Frostbite is EA's state-of-the-art multi-platform game development engine. Our global team empowers game creators to shape the future of gaming by developing innovative game engine features that are supported by outstanding content creation tools for HD & mobile games. Games that are developed with Frostbite span Sports, Racing, RPG, Shooters, and many other game genres. We are honored to have thousands of EA game developers all over the world use Frostbite to create some of the most amazing games and player experiences in the industry.
In partnership with other Frostbite stakeholders, you will have a leading role in the creation, architectural direction, and technical strategy for innovative 3D graphics rendering solutions. You will collaborate with peers on the Frostbite architecture team to ensure that rendering solutions are optimally conceptualized, prioritized, and integrated within the framework of our game engine. As an experienced technology leader, you'll provide advice and coaching to technical artists and rendering software engineers both within the global Frostbite rendering team and with our game team partners, to push the boundaries of performance, efficiency, and visual quality of future EA games. In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of world-class engineers and artists across EA!
You will be empowered and accountable for Frostbite rendering's overall architectural vision and technical strategy. Specific responsibilities include:
• Collaborating with Frostbite product management leadership and key customers to create roadmaps for Frostbite's rendering technology.
• Identifying opportunities to advance Frostbite's rendering technology, by advising Frostbite rendering engineering management and providing technical direction for internal rendering research and innovation efforts.
• Contributing to Frostbite's overall technical direction and architecture (beyond just rendering).
• Representing Frostbite rendering to game teams and external technology partners.
• Providing technical leadership and inspiration to a large team of experienced software engineers.
• 15+yr of experience in real-time rendering and/or AAA game development.
• 5+ years of experience in a technical leadership position.
• Deep understanding of modern graphics APIs such as DirectX 12, Vulkan, or Metal.
• Hands-on experience with C, C++ programming for x86, Arm64, as well as HLSL or other GPU shader programming languages
• Proficiency with graphics rendering performance/platform optimization and debugging skills, with experience using analysis, and optimization tools like PIX, RenderDoc, Razor, etc.
• Experience evaluating new rendering technologies for HD and mobile, influencing graphics IHVs and rendering API standards.
• Proven track record of navigating complex development environments and working closely with stakeholders to guide architectural decisions.
• Ability to provide positive, consistent, thoughtful, and reassuring leadership through all aspects of change management within a fast-paced, global, agile software development environment.
• Openness to occasional domestic and international travel.
• Strong knowledge of DCC tools from Autodesk (e.g. Maya), SideFX (e.g., Houdini), and Adobe (e.g. Substance tools).
• Foundational mathematical knowledge for complex shader authoring
• Experience defining rendering pipeline architecture, including integrating rendering systems with modern art content pipelines.
• Experience implementing new rendering technologies, like real-time ray-traced global illumination for reflections, soft shadows, etc.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rop874-34-204-174-110-42 in your application.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.