Senior Gameplay Systems Designer
Los Angeles, CA
Technical Designer – DICE LA
DICE LA was founded in 2013 with a mission to create outstanding entertainment, and to do so in a manner that is different from the rest of the industry. We want to make great games, and be great at making games.
What does that mean to you as a developer?
It means that you will have a creative stake in everything you do. We believe that we are all game makers, and everyone at our studio contributes to the goal of making amazing game experiences, regardless of role or title. We want this to be the studio where you do the best work of your career. We also firmly believe that we are at our best when we have the proper balance between work and life. To support this balance, we nurture a culture that aims to reach the highest productivity without crunch, and by making smart decisions when it comes to how we work and plan. Having a positive, inclusive studio culture is of extreme importance to us.
Our games reflect the means by which they are created. Games that are crafted in an inspiring atmosphere, with creativity, artistry and technology as their backbone, will capture the imagination of gamers around the world.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Designer like you, to join us in our mission to create amazing games and experiences, and to elevate ourselves and our craft. You will work on an exciting new project at the studio, and report to the Design Line Manager at DICE's Los Angeles office.
• Create and maintain high-quality gameplay components and tools
• Collaborate with other disciplines to implement core game mechanics, ensuring they make for the best possible gameplay experience
• Help the content team to be more creative, by using their feedback to improve their workflow
• Support your teammates through knowledge-sharing, debugging, training, and writing technical design documentation
• Set priorities and goals for your work, together with important partners
• Proactively communicate with others, to guide your work forward
• Assist in advocating best practices to the content team
• Participate in the critique of your work, and the work of others
• Look for opportunities to learn new skills to benefit your growth, your team, and the studio
• 1+ year of experience as a technically-oriented game designer, multiplayer experience is a plus
• At least one shipped AAA game
• Comfortable with visual scripting (eg frostbite, blueprints), and reading C++. Some expertise with text-based scripting or other programming languages is a plus
• Proficiency at debugging own work
• Values documentation and healthy communication
• Enjoys problem-solving within a creative team
• Broad taste in games
Valuable additional skills
• Experience using mod tools to tweak or enhance existing games
• Bachelors in Computer Science (or equivalent)
• Experience working with complex game systems (combat state machines, AI, etc)
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
As part of the application process we might ask you to perform a practical design exercise. Apply online with a resume.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.