The Business Development team is seeking a Sr. Business Development Manager responsible for acquiring, licensing, and clearing IP for EA games, products, and promotions and for managing external licensing partnerships, deal negotiations and contract operations. The Sr. Business Development Manager will have responsibility for developing strategy for licensing third-party IP and content, negotiating, and executing licenses and marketing deals, and managing and overseeing ongoing relationships with external partners, including entertainment, consumer products, and merchandising companies.
The ideal candidate will have experience within gaming, entertainment and/or digital media industry; experience in all aspects of the deal process, including identifying opportunities, evaluating partnerships, and structuring and negotiating contracts; and experience overseeing creative approvals and contractual compliance and managing licensor/licensee relationships. Experience working with internal senior stakeholders across a matrixed organization, collaborating with numerous cross-functional teams, and participating in the process of evaluating, negotiating, building and then maintaining external partnerships is essential. This position will report to the Sr. Director, Business Development.
• Business Development and Affairs for license, acquisition and marketing deals, including:
• Third Party IP Licensing: Acquiring IP from third parties, including entertainment studios and production companies, brand sponsors, etc., for incorporation into EA licensed games, products and promotional materials, including mobile games. Ensuring compliance with licensor requirements with respect to subscriptions, marketing campaigns, promotions, etc., negotiating terms and settling disputes regarding same.
• EA IP Licenses: Licensing EA IP for use in marketing, merchandising and social media outlets, to grow EA brands and increase visibility for EA products. Talent and music rights clearances required for video, print and digital marketing materials, and other cross-media initiatives, social media, platform bundles, etc.
• Other: Other business development work as required, including the negotiation of distribution and marketing terms with game platforms, streaming services, online media channels, etc.
• Transaction Negotiation and Execution:
• Conduct term sheet and agreement negotiations on deals; work closely with legal affairs peers and stakeholders at EA.
• Understand financial modeling, market research, and other EA deals/prospects that impact EA's negotiating positionsManage the negotiation and contracting processes with partners from start to successful conclusion, collaborating with internal stakeholders throughout the contract negotiation process to negotiate terms aligned with business strategy
• Negotiate and resolve issues of contract interpretation with support from Legal and other business issues that may arise with external partners
• Balance partner needs with EA business goals and needs; find solutions and alignment to successfully negotiate partnerships
• Partner Management and Strategic Development
• Build, foster and maintain relationships with third party licensors/licensees, platform distributors, and potential partners; build and maintain a strong network of relationships with outside entertainment partners, agencies, thought leaders, etc. and stay informed on market developments and competitive strategies
• Identify opportunities and provide recommendations for acquiring third party IP to enhance EA game development and reach; licensing out EA IP effectively in social media and consumer product categories for maximum promotional value; and clearing rights for promotional and bundle campaigns
• Internal Collaboration and Influence
• Collaborate with internal client groups and corporate partners across EA key business units in development of negotiation strategy and deal goals; leverage strong communication and influencing skills to build internal alignment for new strategies and partnerships. Ability to work effectively with Directors and above
• Provide skilled advice and recommendations on inbound and outbound licensing opportunities; advise internal EA stakeholders to align company strategy with business priorities and initiatives; establish credibility to drive new ideas or proposals
• Creative effective summaries and powerpoint pitches for keeping internal stakeholders informed
• Build a deep network of EA leaders that can provide support for ideas and initiatives
• Contribute to pitches with colleagues and senior executives to external partners
• Business Operations:
• Manage executed contract operations, including tracking and administering deals, providing day to day contact and support for external partners; coordinating ongoing approvals and amendments, managing contract compliance and deal term interpretation
• Provide creative solutions to resolve complex issues in creative ways; anticipate and prevent problems with partners
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Demonstrable relevant work experience (6+ years) in business development, business affairs, licensing, and/or business-oriented legal affairs in a gaming, entertainment and/or digital media industry
• Strong ability to collaborate with and influence teams from different business units across multiple functions to reach alignment on business goals that drive results and improve deal strategy
• Relevant and extensive experience in structuring, negotiating and managing commercial licenses and acquisitions
• Quick learner with the ability to work independently and with good judgment and discretion
• Demonstrated success in teamwork and the ability to support and contribute to the success of the business, the BA team, and colleagues
• Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to resolve critical issues and to use innovative ideas to help develop company and industry solutions
• Solution-oriented approach and ability to anticipate and prevent problems
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
• Able to manage multiple products and projects at the same time under tight timelines
• Desire and capacity to stay current on rapidly evolving competitive landscape, expanding technologies, global market dynamics, and cross-industry synergies
• Based in Los Angeles or Redwood Shores, or willingness to travel frequently to both locations
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7ex1q-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.