We are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry. Save the planet from Alien Invaders. Score the winning touchdown. Yup - It's the coolest job on the planet!
The Challenge Ahead:
Cloud innovations change the gaming industry landscape every day, adding new capabilities, enabling new scenarios, and redefining the category. Our mission is to provide a reliable, and easy way to develop and operate game servers. Within EA, the Game Server Hosting group builds the critical game server infrastructure that underpins EA's current generation of multiplayer games and fuels innovation of the next wave. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join the team driving our game server platform forward and help ship EA's next amazing multiplayer game.
What a Senior Software Engineer I does on EA's Game Server Hosting team:
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Game Server hosting, your primary responsibility will be to influence the architecture and design of our containerized software and services infrastructure, then drive the delivery of those designs. Most of your time will be spent working with your teammates, planning and creating high-quality services and systems that power and support EA games and their dedicated game servers. You will also spend time working with product managers and team leaders to propose new features and solutions to support EA's Game Server Hosting service. You will contribute to the growth and success of the entire team through active participation processes such as mentoring and code reviews, championing best practices both internally to the team and externally with partners. Here are some other activities we expect of you:
• Develop creative solutions that address customer requests, deliver new features and fix defects.
• Collaborate with customers and product owners across teams and time zones to create designs that balance priorities and requirements and can be broken down into clear execution plans.
• Develop well-tested code that adheres to peer-reviewed coding standards.
• Drive the debugging of complex and hard to reproduce problems and contribute to post-mortems for unsuccessful releases.
• Drive, communicate, and enforce our quality processes, coding standards, and best practices.
• Understand, own, and educate team members on cross system interfaces and service dependencies.
• Enhance EA's engineering capabilities through tracking of industry, segment, and technology transformations.
• Support and mentor other team members through advice, coaching and educational opportunities and impart problem solving, design, and debugging skills to them.
• Grow engineering teams through recruiting, interviewing, and hiring.
• Think strategically and provide forward looking solutions without prompting.
The Next Great EA Software Engineer needs to have:
• Bachelors' degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, MS preferred.
• 8+ years hands-on commercial development experience, preferably in a services team
• 3+ years hands-on domain experience in cloud operational infrastructure and services
• Experience working on high traffic services and highly scalable systems, multi-threaded design with a complete understanding of an OO language
• Experience working within one or more public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
• Expertise developing RESTful web services or gRPC services at Internet consumer scale
• Firsthand use of scaling and resilience technologies such as memcached, queuing
• Firsthand experience in all phases of a modern service development lifecycle, including requirement definition, architecture, technical design, development, debugging, testing, troubleshooting, product release, and live operation.
• Experience and passion for mentoring other members of the team
Bonus Experience Points:
• Proficiency with Golang
• Experience with Kubernetes as an orchestration system for large numbers of workloads (1000+ pods in multiple regions)
• Experience with web development frameworks - React, Angular
• Familiarity with game engines and game software development processes
• Engineering Collaboration software - JIRA, GitLab, GitHub, or Confluence
• Active contributor to related open source projects