External Development Artist - Object Reviewer
Redwood City, CA
Senior CAS Artist
Location: Redwood City, California (Open to remote locations within the US)
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
Maxis is looking for a Senior CAS Artist to help establish the look and pipeline of our characters. If you are a character artist who is adept at stylization, artistic interpretation and a deep experience in character pipelines, bringing the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft, and mentoring others to develop excellent experiences for… come join our team.
As a Senior Character Artist, you would work with the Art Director and Technical Leads to define visual standards and technical specifications of game characters.
You would also participate in RnD of the asset creation methods and pipelines designed to add new design-driven features.
In addition to creating high-quality character models and materials, you would guide junior members of the team and external partners to deliver work that meets the project standards. You seek opportunities to enhance the game, enjoy finding latest technologies that improve the pipeline, embrace constructive feedback, and thrive in a collaborative environment.
• Work with the Art Director and technical partners to define and refine the look and feel of characters for the project.
• Work with Technical Art, Engineering and other artists to develop the character creation and integration pipeline.
• Research latest modeling techniques and convey them to the Technical Art team.
• Create high-quality character models and materials'/shaders including in-game and high-resolution assets.
• Update style and technical documents for the character art team.
• Work with Technical Artists to create and improve tools and workflows.
• Participate in milestone planning and reviews.
• Prioritize your work to meet deadlines
• Provide mentorship for junior team members.
• Review work from external partners and provide feedback.
• Minimum of 5 years of production experience as a character artist.
• Have served as a Senior or Lead Character Artist on a published title and have shipping experience on multiple game titles.
• Mastery in industry standard software like Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter'/Designer and Photoshop.
• Experience with scale, proportion, surface properties, and human anatomy.
• Demonstrated ability in character stylization.
• Knowledge of character setup and rigging.
• Demonstrate understanding of the key topology principles for human body and face, animals, cloth, hair, props.
• Understanding of current gen video game tech methods and their implications for the character creation pipeline, for example: PBR, dynamics, displacement, parallax, SSS, shader animation.
• Experience working with designers, animators, riggers, and engineers to develop new solution'/tool'/tech'/pipeline.
• Experience working with video game engines and implementing 3D work into the pipeline.
• Ability to create shaders'/materials using painting and node-based techniques (e.g. Substance Painter and Designer).
• Knowledge of high-poly to low-poly surface baking.
• Passion for making and playing games.
• Bonus Qualification: Cloth simulation.
• Bonus Qualification: Knowledge of scripting (Python, Max Script, Maya mel)
• Bonus Qualification: Experience working with remote teams (outsourcing).
Materials required for Application
• Portfolio or Reel (website, blog, or online gallery) demonstrating examples of stylized characters and several examples of the topology
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.