Lighting Artist | Maxis
Term: 1 year
Location: EA Redwood Shores | Open to most US locations
Maxis is looking for an experienced Lighting Artist to guide and inform our visual development. We are looking for a lighter who has an eye for artistic interpretation, visual stylization, and has experience with Unreal Engine pipelines and workflows. If you are excited to bring the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft for new and existing IP … come join our team.
As a Lighting Artist, you will partner with the Technical Art Director, Art Director, Rendering Engineers and Senior Discipline Leads to define a cohesive, visionary look for Maxis titles. You will drive the quality and visual standards across multiple platforms and support the technical development for Maxis projects. You will also participate in research and development to support new Art and Design-driven features unique to our projects by leveraging current methods and pipelines. You will proactively seek opportunities to elevate the game, enjoy improving workflows using emerging technologies, embrace constructive feedback, and thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
You will report to a Studio Development Director.
• You will partner with the Art Director and support the Senior Discipline Artists to develop and refine the lighting for our characters, environments, and gameplay modes
• You will create high-quality, real-time lighting solutions in-game using physically-based rendering
• You will research emerging technology and share suggestions with the Technical Art team on process and aesthetic improvements
• You will actively participate in milestone reviews
• You will review work from external partners and peers by participating in critiques
• Minimum of 4 years of production experience as a Lighting Artist
• A contributor on published titles from pre-production through to shipping
• An understanding of PBR lighting theory, current game tech and development methods, for example: PBR materials, real time workflows, and subsurface scattering
• A working knowledge of industry standard rendering methods (baked and real-time) for mobile and PC with an understanding of hardware scalability constraints
• Familiarity with optimization and tuning adjustments for performance to stay within technical budgets across multiple platforms
• Experience with lighting in the UE4 pipeline, including a desire to learn and develop hands-on skills working in UE5-Lumen
• An understanding of spatial composition and lighting techniques that influence mood, tone, and aesthetic within a scene (natural lighting, key lighting, three point, etc.)
• A demonstrated understanding of rendering principles for human skin, hair, and clothing
• Experience collaborating with object/character/environment modelers, VFX artists, and rendering engineers to develop new solutions/tools/tech/pipelines
• Some proficiency in industry-standard software such as Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer, and Photoshop
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• A demonstrated sense of color theory, color grading, and correction
• A photography, cinematic, or traditional art background
• Shader authoring experience
• A passion for making and playing games
Materials required for Application
• A portfolio/reel that reflects strong sense for character and/or figurative lighting, including examples of lighting compositions within both natural and architectural scenes
Our Global Benefits package is not included for this particular role.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqo966-3-236-68-118-42 in your application.