Maxis is looking for an accomplished engineer that can help us bring the next wave of simulation features to life. This engineer will work with an experienced team that has collectively built almost all Maxis games in the past two decades. You will work with multiple designers and engineers prototyping and shipping different features that expand the gameplay possibilities of Sims games. Most of the work will be done in C#, with the front-end being developed in WPF.
Reporting to a Development Director, as a Tools Engineer, you will:
• Create tools that help create and manipulate a very large number of game tuning and assets that assemble to create rich player facing features.
• Implement developer facing editors that provide high impact visualization to manipulate game tuning and assets e.g. state machine editor, behavior tree editor, expression editor in C# and WPF.
• Work with the other game engineers and designers to implement a data-driven simulation system to author player facing behaviors in Unreal and C++.
• Author technical design documents detailing software requirements.
Please note that you do not need to qualify for all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable opening a dialog to be considered.
• Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
• 5+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
• 3+ years experience building complex tools in C# and WPF.
• Demonstrate technical abilities with large projects implemented in C# and C++.
• Experience building tools with a medium to large customer base.
• Experience building and shipping AAA games in Unreal Engine.
• Previous engineering experience managing major systems in code bases.
• Experience and willingness to create multiple short-lived prototypes.
• Experience developing for large-scale live products. Products that always update to provide higher quality, and feature set to expand the possibilities in the game.
• Experience building features and tools for games (or applications) that support a collaborative User Generated Content community.
• Experience working in collaborative environments with diverse roles beyond engineering like design, production, art and product management.
• Experience optimizing performance and memory for applications that manipulate large amounts of information/files.
• Experience with Windows platform and development tools.
• Experience with performance/memory optimization of C# desktop applications.
• Experience building tools and plugins for Unreal or Unity Engines.
• Experience showcasing customer improvements in tools development.
• Experience with building games, tools, or plugins for Unity engine.
• Experience developing for PC, console and Mobile platform games.
• Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
• Experience using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3x465-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.