Redwood City, CA
Game Designer - Maxis
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it's about amazing our fans. Taking risks. Collaborating with each other. Daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As a Designer on The Sims, you'll report to the Design Development Director and work with a team of enthusiastic industry craftspeople from all walks of life. You will use your passion and knowledge to design and implement player-first experiences from end to end that surprise, delight, and invite millions of gamers around the world to Play with Life.
The Sims 4 has a very unique player base with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
• Design and own features from concept to completion.
• Establish player experience goals for designs, implement and tune features to meet those goals.
• Conceptualize and communicate an engaging gameplay experience and use your technical ability to bring your vision to life.
• Provide feedback to other designers.
• Improve designs based on play test feedback, game metrics, team input and community feedback.
• Think creatively using the tools and time available to build unique and fun experiences for players.
• Adopt and become proficient in new or proprietary development tools to implement and debug your work.
• Think about the future when implementing content, resulting in smartly scripted scalable systems and good design patterns and practices.
• Collaborate with all team disciplines, including artists, animators, modelers, engineers, quality assurance, and producers to get support from the team and guide a project from initial design to final production.
• Advocate for the design vision and get the team excited to work on it.
• Balance your design vision with input from your peers to find practical solutions that achieve the intended player experience.
• Become an expert on the game and our community, drawing from our large, varied player base and our past games to make and defend intelligent design choices going forward.
• Help establish best practices for the team and improve process and efficiency.
• Mentor more junior members of the team.
• 3+ years of game design experience on a video game development team.
• Excellent creative skills with experience creating detailed design documentation and maintaining it throughout a project life cycle.
• Design and implementation experience with game features that focus on open-ended player creativity.
• Effective at working both autonomously and in groups of different profiles.
• Knowledge of and enthusiasm for gaming: playing, deconstructing and creating.
• Experience with games in The Sims PC franchise and other simulation games.
• Desirable Skill: Shipped a AAA HD title.
• Desirable Skill: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
• Desirable Skill: Comfortable with Visio, JIRA, online collaboration suites such as Confluence
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.