Design Director / Design Lead
Redwood City, CA
External Development Artist - Object Reviewer - Maxis
Location: Redwood City, CA
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it's about amazing our fans. Taking risks. Working with each other. Daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
The Sims 4 has a very unique player base with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
Maxis is looking for someone to be a part of the creative team working on The Sims 4. This opening requires that you will be motivated and have experience working with a cross-disciplinary group.
As an External Development Artist, you will maintain the visual style of the assigned project and coordinating and supervising the efforts of our external partners to achieve that look. You will work directly with their lead, Art Director, and other art leads to help drive the external development content creation of several object and environmental assets. You will be essential to the success of our external development efforts while maintaining a productive relationship with our partners, providing high-quality art with consistency and efficiency. You will work with team leads, production, and other art disciplines to get artwork prepared, reviewed, and integrated in-game. You will have experience providing technical and aesthetic feedback and understands that most of their time will be spent reviewing and providing feedback on art assets.
You will report into a Maxis Development Director.
• Mentor the external partners by creating detailed written and illustrative reviews on daily content deliveries
• Work with the art and tech teams to ensure consistency between the concept and final 3d assets
• Work with multiple development disciplines, including non-art specific groups, to assess and improve creative and development pipelines and processes
• Establish and maintain the production requirements to enforce both technical and aesthetical coherence
• Finalize and produce assets both for in-game use and for visual target purposes
• Create documentation and communicate requirements to external partners
• Monitor the quality and consistency of external development production
• Revise, change, or fix 'finished' assets
• Deliver to quality while maintaining desired schedules
• 5+ years professional games development experience.
• At least 1 shipped title in the role of Environmental'/Object Artist on PC or major console platform.
• Sense of design and an ability to identify styles and trends relating to interior design and architecture.
• A solid knowledge base in art and design history.
• Experience creating documentation for art pipelines and workflow with external partners.
• Knowledge and proficiency in Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop
• Expertise with up-to-date art production techniques.
• Excellent artistic skills and experience sharing that knowledge through mentoring, critiques, and tutorials.
• Seek art direction and cooperation with other team members.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, solid organization and efficient time management.
• Take direction and seek clarification.
• Self-motivated, able to collaborate with other game team leads in a deadline-driven environment.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.