Development Manager – Maxis
At Maxis we are all about outrageous thinking. It is the fuel that inspires the
best games in the world. We are great storytellers. It is not just about
amazing your peers – it is about amazing yourself. Taking risks. Work with
great minds. Dare to dream big. Together we change the way millions play
What a Development Manager does at Maxis:
As a Development Manager, you will manage a team. Teams can range from
artists, designers, software engineers, QA and other production staff. You
are the keeper of the project schedule and help move the development team
from one project phase to the next while ensuring a strong focus on quality,
collaboration and communication. You would partner with producers (our
product owners) to ensure that they are managing the project on time, to
quality, and within budget.
Specifically you will work directly with our Audio teams to coordinate
Maxis' distinct sound to multiple deliverables for The Sims 4 ad well as
• Work with project partners to establish and assign tasks from defined project goals.
• Partner with team leads to manage backlog and priorities.
• Determine the resource requirements to meet the tasks and project requirements
• Assess and mitigate risk for the team's assigned scope.
• Track progress of team's deliverables and provides regular status reporting and capacity plan updates.
• Partner with product owners, tech and craft leads to resolve problems that surface for the team.
• Run stand-ups and backlog planning meetings
• Work with experts of your team and ensure all workflow is clearly defined, processes are documented, and the team understands expectations on the development workflow.
• Manage career development of direct reports, including development of individual development plans, and conducting regular one-on-ones.
• Build and evolve a team; identify resourcing needs, provide challenges and developmental opportunities to ensure that all employees reach their potential.
• Develop working relationships with the immediate team and those outside of the immediate team that have an effect on the completion of the project.
• Communicate with multiple disciplines and leads, coordinating dependencies with internal and external partners.
• You will report to a Development Director on the team.
• Minimum of 2 years of project management or team leadership experience and 3+ years in software development environment.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience in any number of related fields including Game Production/Development, Business, Visual Arts, Computer Science etc.
• An understanding of game development, interdisciplinary dependencies and associated development risks.
• Experience in several project management methodologies such as Waterfall, Agile/Scrum, Kanban, etc.
• You can work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
• Some people management experience.
• Familiarity with project management tools such as JIRA, ShotGrid (formerly ShotGun).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm1ny3-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.