Concept Artist (contract)
Concept Artist - The Sims 4 (contract)
Term: 12 months
Location: Redwood Shores, CA or Open to Remote Work in most US Locations
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it's about amazing our fans. Taking risks. Working with each other. Daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
The Sims 4 has a very unique player base with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
• As a Concept Artist on The Sims, you'll report to the Development Director from the Art Team
• Create a wide variety of concepts including creature design and hard surface props
• Design original concepts that fit within the project style guide
• Translate high level ideas into production-ready art packets
• Maintain a high level of quality art, while providing a variety of ideas
• Provide in depth research, reference material, and develop conceptual ideas
• Outstanding design sensibility. You need to have the ability to develop unique and visually appealing designs for furniture, fashion, environment, and architecture. You don't need to be an expert in each of these areas, but you should be an expert in at least 1-2, and feel comfortable working in each.
• Understanding and an interest in how and why things are constructed, from a designer's perspective.
• Strong understanding of asset creation from start to finish. You understand how to create concept images and spec sheets which call out all pertinent information for modelers, texture artist, animators and VFX artists who will work on the final in-game model.
• Very strong traditional illustration skills in a variety of media as well as excellent drawing skills. Matte painting experience is a plus.
• A strong ability to think in 3D.
• Environment and component ideation and design.
• Strong fundamental skills including good use of line, light, shadow and color.
• Storytelling and concept development.
• Ability to work within specific styles, including a style set by another artist or art director.
• Comfortable giving and receiving critiques.
• 4+ years of concept experience.
• Multiple shipped video game titles.
• Experience providing feedback to outsourced vendor artists is a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roe6j6-35-172-223-30-42 in your application.