Subtitling Technician & Stereographer
Deluxe, based in London, is the leading provider of a broad range of Digital Film services and technologies to major Hollywood Studios and the Independent Film Market.
In the varied role of Subtitling Technician/Stereographer you will be involved in all aspects of the 2D and 3D subtitling workflows, from receipt of original materials delivered from the clients' subtitling companies through to final delivery of digital cinema compliant files for internal and external mastering. Main responsibilities include reviewing, formatting and adapting 2D and 3D subtitled content; including subtitle positioning, editing and cueing. You will also assist in the creation of master OV Z-Axis files for internal and client/production sign off at the start of each 3D project.
Using both industry standard and bespoke software you will ensure that all 2D/3D subtitled materials meet technical specifications before delivery to the Digital Cinema Mastering Department or externally to vendors such as IMAX and that our clients' demands are satisfied within their timescales and to an exemplary standard.
You should be highly motivated, organised, with impeccable attention to detail, technically savvy and keen to work as part of a busy team.
This role reports into the Head of Subtitling Services with operational reporting to Subtitling Supervisor and Senior Stereographer.
• To deliver high quality service at all times to both internal and external clients
• Receive, format and prepare files for review whether for 2D or 3D output for all subtitled trailer and feature content, ensuring subtitle files provided meet digital cinema technical specifications
• Review 2D and 3D subtitle files against video backgrounds/DCP in the company's subtitling software, checking for sync, cue accuracy, text corruption and content issues; position subtitles to avoid clashes with on-screen text, 3D embeds; query and/or correct problems according to the guidelines and procedures established with each client
• Create subtitle proof files for client approval for features/trailers as required in either PDF/Word format or as QT simulations using various proprietary and industry software
• Prepare 3D subtitle files for Stereography for simulation for all 2D/3D and OV language versions following review of 2D versions
• Create final XML deliverables to the appropriate specifications required (including Interop, SMPTE, IMAX, Prores/HD, TTML) for digital cinema/external vendor feature/trailer mastering
• Track the status of each job worked on through the company's scheduling database Kraken, ensuring work is completed according to schedule. Feedback to senior team members, line manager and account managers where further detail or information is required
• Work collaboratively with fellow members of the Subtitling Services team and other departments to ensure project requirements are met and delivered correctly
• Gather and assimilate ad-hoc project information as specified by the Seniors, Supervisor, HoD
• Become familiar with Digital Cinema subtitling best practices and with linguistic, textual and font-related issues that are typical or occur frequently in material for specific languages and territories. Perform relevant checks against the occurrence of such issues
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of respective developments in film technologies
• Act as an ambassador for the Company
The successful candidate will ideally have a minimum of 1 year previous subtitling and/or technical language QC experience gained within a similar post production finishing environment and will be used to working to tight deadlines. An interest in subtitling and knowledge of at least 1x foreign language other than English, or prior exposure to working with multiple languages in a similar environment would also be an advantage.
• Polite and professional with a positive and optimistic approach
• Ability to work well under pressure and maintain focus
• Ability to work on own initiative but also be a good team player
• Ability to make clear decisions
• Diligent and organized
• Able to anticipate and develop contingencies
• Flexible with the ability to work in a fast paced demanding environment
• Objective and balanced within a demanding environment
• An understanding of film/ digital post production and associated technologies would be an advantage
• Positive and flexible attitude
• Willingness to learn
• Energetic and positive in approach
• Willing and able to trouble shoot complex problems
• Good communication skills and the ability to interact at all levels within the organization and build credible relationships.
Standard working hours: Friday/Saturday 09:30-18:00 and Sunday 10:00-16:00. With the potential to move to weekdays if workload allows.
The successful candidate must be prepared to display flexibility within the role as additional hours/overtime may be required from time to time.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxq4jj-3-238-24-209-42 in your application.