Welcome to Activision Mobile. We're a new in-house studio, dedicated to developing the best AAA mobile games in the world.
Our first project is a new AAA mobile title in the Call of Duty franchise and we're looking for great talent from mobile, console and PC backgrounds passionate about their work, who share our belief in what AAA experiences on mobile can and should be. We're incredibly excited to build out our teams and get to work, and invite you to join us in making something special.
As Engineering Manager you will drive development and delivery from our Mobile studio's engineering team. You are an integral part of the development team's leadership, working closely with internal and external partners to identify needs and utilize resources efficiently and appropriately. We're looking for a technically minded Engineering Manager to assist with technical prioritization, documentation, overall team planning, and career development of our outstanding team of engineers. This role will work with our internal development team to ensure they are focused, well-organized and well-resourced to deliver great work, coordinating and prioritizing with broader teams across the company.
Our Engineering Manager will need to be a very clear and strong communicator, capable of understanding the needs of a wide variety of internal and external partners, and able to provide solutions. Our ideal candidate works with all degrees of ownership, from driving the team to timely execution in some cases, to identifying and handing off work to partner teams in others.
Our candidate must thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment and be adept at driving quality in line with team, schedule, and budget.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Manage engineering team's day to day assignments, progress, obstacles and success
• Drive planning and execution of key features by engineering team for a market-leading mobile title
• Collaborate with project and studio leadership to evaluate trade-offs among scope, time-to-market, and quality
• Proactively identify and assess risks in technology, timeline, and staffing
• Synthesize design plans and goals into a development plan and schedule for feature completion
• Anticipate, discover, confront, and resolve problems and unexpected dependencies for the development team
• Communicate clearly with stakeholders, sharing progress and setting expectations
• Develop team-wide processes that foster excellent communication and strong development practices
• Create a great culture where programmers thrive, are challenged and can see opportunities to develop their skills and career paths
• 7+ years game industry development experience
• 2+ years of experience managing engineers through shipped titles
• Experience managing cohesive, creative teams ranging in size from 5 to 20 people a variety of agile and fixed-time development processes
• Strong project management fundamentals including capacity planning, scope assessment and management, and project milestone planning.
• Facility with project management software (e.g. JIRA, Microsoft Project, Confluence, Hansoft, etc.).
• Able to facilitate brainstorming and mediate decision making for a team of enthusiastic developers and leads
• Strong critical-thinking, written and spoken communication skills
• Highly organized, self-motivated, and customer-focused, but able to push back and set standards
• A degree in computer science, math or engineering
• Experience developing an online multiplayer title
• Experience in live operations for a free-to-play title
• Active video game player across a variety of genres, especially FPS games
• Experience developing FPS titles, mobile preferred
COVID-19 Hiring Update: While our Mobile Studio is based in Santa Monica, CA, we've transitioned to a work-from-home model, and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Activision Mobile is an emerging team within Activision Publishing focusing on both publishing and live-operations for Call of Duty Mobile along with our new in-house studio dedicated to the development of AAA mobile titles. Designed around the singular focus of creating the best games in our space, ours is a mobile studio like no other. Developing in collaboration with Activision studios around the world, work on a new AAA mobile game in the Call of Duty franchise has begun.
It takes the industry's best talent to make entertainment history, and while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a driven and diverse team of people producing greatness together. We're looking for developers from mobile and PC backgrounds passionate about their work and who believe in realizing the potential of mobile gaming as much as we do.
We're highly collaborative, relaxed, and deadly serious about creating incredible entertainment for passionate players around the world. We approach mobile development as a craft, and our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got you covered!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy796k-35-170-64-36-42 in your application.