Engineering Manager - Progression - Game Services
Want to be responsible for the awesome gaming experience of hundreds of millions of players? How about building a scalable platform that enables key revenue-driving and player engagement features in world-renowned games?
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a development team in Vancouver that designs, builds, runs, and evolves our game progression, rewards, and player engagement services platforms for the Call of Duty franchise and other popular Activision titles.
The Game Services department is responsible for delivering core capabilities in the Demonware online platform and developing new online services and features to support the future of the online gaming market. The development is geared towards low-latency and large-scale distributed systems that can handle millions of concurrently connected users. This role will have a large impact on the online and multiplayer experience for AAA multiplayer games, including Call of Duty.
In this role, you will:
• Provide direction and strategy for our products. Understand what the big picture is and how to get there.
• Own the relationship with customers and game studios in relation to your products. Understand their needs and provide an exemplary service personally and through your team.
• Management of goals, performance, and career advancement for direct reports. Holding reports accountable to their expected contribution for their level.
• Provide career direction for direct and indirect reports, helping them establish a personal career path and continuously develop themselves.
• Collaborate with the project manager to map out and deliver team objectives and priorities for the year based on company goals and studios' requirements
• Organize and coordinate team members to effectively work on features together and with other teams in Demonware
• Ensure the software produced by the team achieves the quality bar we expect for our products
• Collaborate with HR and recruitment on various people and recruitment needs
• 2+ years of experience in similar leadership role (other combinations of technical skills and experience may be considered)
• Experience working in a game studio or providing online services to game studios is a plus.
• Ability to engage, develop, and retain high-performing engineers.
• Willingness to travel and accommodate a flexible work schedule that includes being on-call.
• Previous experience building and leading high-performing software development teams.
• Expertise in effective project management processes, software development methodologies, and their application
• Experience providing feedback and input to technical discussions, ensuring sound engineering is applied in problem solving and technical decision making
• Experience in Python, MySQL and Kafka is a plus
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation Support, 25 days of vacation, RRSP matching program and top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents and perks.
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players' online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz6047-44-201-94-72-42 in your application.