ABC News is seeking a full-time News Editor to join our growing Digital team.
The person in this role will join a dedicated team of editors at ABC News Digital and will be responsible for line editing text stories that are published on ABCNews.com, working with reporters, senior editors and our legal and standards teams. Part of their duties will include editing, liaising with and possibly writing stories from the news division's broadcast shows, in addition to editing general interest text pieces.
Separately, on Friday and Saturday nights, the candidate will be the editorial lead for the digital group, editing and possibly writing breaking news stories, assigning and editing general interest news stories with Digital reporters, and liaising with other parts of the news division for Digital coverage. The ideal candidate is someone who is a thoughtful editor and has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and does well under pressure.
The role is based in New York City, though the team is currently working remotely, with the possibility of returning to the office as early as January in a hybrid model of about two days in the office and the remaining days remote. The hours are generally noon-9 p.m. on Tue-Thu and 3 p.m. - 12 a.m. Friday and Saturday and are subject to change based on coverage needs.
• Work with the newsgathering desk to determine what is reportable
• Assess coverage needs, assign reporters to write stories and edit
• Collaborate with reporters, producers, editors, bookers, correspondents, legal and standards teams
• When necessary, file breaking news stories
• Coordinate news coverage across different teams
• Make editorial judgments on a minute-to-minute basis
• Minimum 3 years' experience editing for a digital news outlet
• Sound news judgment
• Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy
• Proven experience handling breaking news
• Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams
• Familiarity with and interest in ABC News shows
• Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks
• Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic
• Has experience running point on major breaking news
• Experience collaborating with different teams
• Excellent communication skills
• BA or BS from a 4-year accredited college or university or equivalent experience
• Master's degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnxvj1-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.