We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most
amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is not easy. That's why we
employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead:
Is to build our new cross-game, cross-platform digital economy platform. This large-scale, always-on collection of RESTful Java-based services will power the virtual-economies of EA's network of games to be experienced by tens of millions of monthly active users. You'll build platform capabilities handling several hundred-thousand requests per second, and driving the player engagement of many of the industries most popular titles. You will build server-side systems that bring new functionality within the larger Digital Platform, and work on regular improvements to the systems to keep them at top-notch performance.
What a Senior Software Engineer I does within EADP Marketplace Division at EA:
As a Sr. Software Engineer I, your primary responsibility will be to lead the software design and architecture
process of our marketplace service offering. Most of your time will be spent working with the team in the development of new features, while optimizing performance and scalability of the service. You will also spend time working with product managers to develop new features to support EA's many games and reduce technical debt associated with legacy systems through innovation and automation.
Additionally, you will be an advocate for best practices within the engineering team, demonstrating excellence as a mentor to the team.
• Lead the technical design and architecture of major components in our large-scale distributed HTTP-based backend service, creating new features and updating existing ones
• Work with customers and business leaders to understand customer needs and delivering incrementally on their highest priority features and requirements.
• Work with multiple customers working on multiple different platforms who use the services you create to complete user facing features
• Roughly 40% to 60% hands-on coding
• Grow and guide other engineers
• Occasional off-hours support for development needs and support of the live environment ensuring our consumer experience is always excellent
• Ability in Java/Kafka or Go lang
• A passion for working in gaming or commerce/virtual economy systems
• Technical leadership, and mentoring experience
• Expertise in many different technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end storage systems and all points in between.
• Experience with the Software design/architecture process
• Superb ability to take high-level direction, and succeed in an iterative model
• Superb ability to translate requirements into technical direction both verbally and written
• Experience with DevOps and Agile development
• Experience developing and creating large-scale distributed applications
• Experience working on high traffic services and highly scalable systems (>2 million DAU, hundreds of thousands requests per second)
• Can explain technical issues to a variety of audiences
• 9 or more years' experience developing object-oriented software (preferably in Java)
• 6 or more years' experience working on online services (HTTP via REST) at Internet consumer scale
• Use technologies such as memcache, queuing, and NoSQL in production systems and other OSS tech
Nice to have Skills:
• Experience with one or more scripting languages
• Experience with Maven/Gradle
• Experience with Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA
• Experience with load testing and system analysis
• Experience with other languages such as C++ or C#
• Some experience leading or guiding engineers
• Experience working with remote teams
• Domain experience in economics, commerce, or fraud area
What's In It For YOU? Glad You Asked!
• We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make excellent games, we offer great compensation packages and a culture that is powered by creativity and individuality. Health, Dental, Financial offered (ESPP and RRSP matching)