Artist - External Development
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Environment Artist - Props (Contract)
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
This is an opportunity to contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environments and level assets.
As a Props Artist, you will effectively collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of your direct discipline, such as the Art Director, Art Leads, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers, to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
• Create fully functional assets which can be shared across the project and respect the technical and artistic constraints; according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals.
• Integrate the produced elements, objects and textures into the levels.
• Demonstrates the ability to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the art production pipeline and all engine features, tools, and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
• Maintains the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring prop assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
• Support the Lead Environment Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
• Facilitates requests or info needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level prop creation process as needed.
• Actively improves skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
• Possesses strong time management and prioritization skills. Entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
• Clearly communicates updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
• Minimum of one to two years' industry experience or related experience.
• Strong traditional fine art skills, training, and production experience (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.).
• Proficient in the use of Maya, (or 3D modeling package) Zbrush, and Substance Designer and Painter.
• Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
• Previous or current-gen video game platform experience.
• Good communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
• Works under minimal direction to determine and develop an approach to solutions.
• A Bachelor's in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skill set.
• Having firsthand experience on one or more published titles is a plus.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site