Hyderabad, IN US
Job Title: Director of Software Engineering - EADP
Electronic Arts is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. The Company's game franchises are offered as both packaged goods products and online services delivered through Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, and tablets. EA has more than 275 million registered players and operates in 75 countries.
Our team, EA Digital Platform (EADP), provides central services that enable game teams to tap into the power of the global EA ecosystem. Compatible across multiple platforms and devices, our platform empowers teams to foster deeper, more meaningful relationships with our players. The EADP is the foundation on which EA's games are built. By providing reusable capabilities that game teams can easily integrate into their games, we allow them to focus on making incredible games. These building blocks are made up of digital platform domains such as Cloud, Commerce, Data and AI, Gameplay Services, Marketplace, Identity and Social.
The Challenge Ahead:
Build out the Digital Platform Engineering Hub team to accelerate the development of EADP platform offerings. You will work with a globally distributed platform team - product management, engineering and operations - and game studios. You'll have the opportunity to build sophisticated platform capabilities handling several hundred-thousand requests per second and driving the player engagement of many of the industry's most popular titles. In this role, you will build server-side systems that deliver new functionality within the larger Digital Platform, as well as work on regular improvements to the systems to keep them at top-notch performance. In summary "Game teams make the games fun and we as EADP help make the games run".
What will you be doing?
As Director of Software Engineering (EADP) you will attract, hire, develop and lead a team of world-class engineers responsible for the architecture, development, and deployment of major components of EA's Digital Platform. This is an exciting opportunity to create a team from the ground up and shape.
You will also be responsible for interacting across the broader EADP organization and game studios to help define and refine the platform capabilities and accelerate the platform adoption. As a people manager, you will be responsible for helping shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. As a technical leader, you will be hands-on architecting, designing and developing features with the team that moves our platform forward. You will create a path to scale for the team by helping them adopt world-class engineering methods and processes.
You should value simplicity and scale, work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment, and be excited to learn.
• Fifteen or more years of experience developing software applications or services
• Five or more years of experience managing large engineering teams
• Be accountable for implementing highly scalable, low-latency, high-throughput systems that have 99.9% availability.
• Ability to prioritize multiple critical features and ensuring on-time delivery
• Leveraging cloud services like AWS or any other cloud vendor for compute, storage, analytics, and deployment
• Drive velocity through engineering fundamentals, framework and best engineering excellence practices like DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and Agile development. An insightful understanding of the software design/architecture process is highly desirable.
• Provide feedback to core product teams to influence roadmap and strategy.
• Ability to collaborate with geographically distributed teams, playing a critical role in interfacing with various technology teams, studio engineering teams and business stakeholders to identify requirements, prioritize, and drive execution using agile methodologies
• Lead and provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to talented engineers and technologists.
• Create an outstanding engineering culture of creativity and innovation embodying authorship and pride in work.
• Bachelor's degree in any number of related fields including Computer Science, Game Development, Business. A master's degree is a plus.
• Experience with AWS/Azure, Docker, Redis, and database technologies (such as MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, Dynamo DB)
• Experience in working and thriving in a fast-paced, agile, cross-functional organization
• Expertise in designing and operating large scale on-line distributed systems
• Strong written and oral communication skills are essential - being able to explain technical issues to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Ability to stay on top of technology, participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to products and tech stack
• Strong sense of ownership/'can do' attitude and high attention to detail
• Comfortable working with large volumes of data
• Experience in the game industry and gaming experience are pluses
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.