News Production Assistant
Washington, DC US
Join the team that helps cut through the flood of daily news with the smartest take on the most important stories of the day, and help shape news-driven podcast content. As a Production /Editorial Assistant, you will help book guests, draft host copy, edit audio for air/publication. You love news, you love audio. You have a curious mind that’s always searching for context and meaning. Your work will reach audiences across platforms, to help them understand which stories of the day mattered most, and WHY.
• Helps to write and produce content for daily air/publication.
• Active participant in pitch meetings, consistently engaged with news of the day
• Assists other team members with interview prep and logistics
• Assists in maintaining a strategic and productive engagement with audiences across social/digital platforms
• Other duties as assigned
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience – Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least one (1) year experience in journalism
• Some experience in audio journalism
• Ability to edit audio
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline
• Ability to work varied shifts
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Experience in audio journalism, especially using DAVID based systems
• Experience on a daily news show, in the broadcast or podcast space
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.