Vancouver, BC CA
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Junior Digital Paint Artist restores background plates and creates digital articulate mattes.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Demonstrates basic ability to match colors and grain structures between multiple sources.
• Modifies and removes isolated elements for digitally composited sequences with both procedural and hand painting methods.
• Demonstrates ability to perform the fundamentals of:
• Dirt removal.
• Articulate matte creation, editing and shape management.
• Procedural removal of targets.
• Basic 2d paint tasks in Silhouette/Nuke.
• Maintains clean, efficient and well annotated scripts.
• Can perform QC checks such as A/B comparisons with last revision, plate etc.
• Proactively researches and assembles reference.
• Proactively seeks out aesthetic feedback on revisions.
• Proactively seeks technical support when challenges arise.
• Demonstrates a basic ability to problem solve and troubleshoot scene files and workflows.
• Updates shot team and production on shot progress and new element deliveries.
Reports to the Senior Production Manager (TV) and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Digital Paint Supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Drawing, Animation or equivalent artistic background and education required.
• Minimum of 1 year production experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
• Experience of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres.
• Experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
• Understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television.
• Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
• Must have an understanding of how their work fits into the pipeline and its effect on upstream and downstream departments.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.