Sr Character Artist
Santa Monica Studio
Los Angeles, CA US
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
The Technical Designer (Locomotion) will assist, collaborate with and take direction from the Gameplay Director and Lead Combat Designer as needed on any of the following: developing locomotion systems for both playable and AI driven characters, helping to build traversal gameplay mechanics, and working with the engineering/animation teams to build high quality work to completion.
• Implementing and tuning various traversal mechanics for a playable character.
• Implementing locomotion for enemies and AI driven characters for both systemic gameplay and scripted sequences.
• Deliver quality and functionality of locomotion to the directed standard.
• Create and maintain relevant documentation as needed (animation lists, design intents, etc)
• Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed.
• Produce work in a timely manner within the full game production pipeline.
• Do the above points in very close collaboration with various departments such as animation, engineering and camera, while representing locomotion as a gameplay design feature.
• Strong investment in character locomotion with regards to both good feel and visual fidelity, and an understanding of how locomotion serves the greater goals of a character action video game.
• Experience with character animation state machines
• Experience with scripting systems, text-based preferred.
• Working knowledge of animation systems including blending, layering, synched animations and animation warping.
• Must be able to grasp and work with proprietary tools and techniques to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters.
• Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of what makes gameplay fun.
• Basic knowledge of coding and technical architecture (C++, C#) is preferred but not required.
• Must possess quality oral and written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
• Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
• Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team.
• 2 plus years in game development with a focus on design or programming, with at least 1 year in character (AI or player character) implementation and scripting
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.