Junior VFX Generalist
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
• Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment.
• Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback.
• Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
• Participates in team reviews of work under development.
• Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots.
• Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving.
• Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development.
• Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently.
• Sources suitable reference materials for required assets.
• Special projects as needed.
• Reports to the Talent Manager, Generalist and receives daily oversight and direction from the Lead/Generalist Supervisor.
Education / Experience
• At least three years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least five years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing; OR, proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
• Demo reel required
• High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
• Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
• Strong English communication skills
Technical Skills / Competencies
• Fluent in Photoshop
• Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
• Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
• Comparable software experience considered
• Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
• Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, physics of light and motion
• Understanding 2D compositing software
• Good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site