News Director - WYMT
WYMT Mountain News is the dominant source for local news and entertainment in Eastern Kentucky and operates the CBS and Heroes & Icons affiliates. WYMT is a regional television station covering more than 30 counties in Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and Tennessee.
Nestled in the scenic Appalachian Mountains, WYMT is home to Emmy and AP award-winning mentors with a combined experience of more than 71 years. We offer employees the flexibility to learn every aspect of broadcasting with the latest industry equipment and technology, live news experience, and encouragement to volunteer in the community.
Since 1988, WYMT has generated more than $4 million for local schools and students through the WYMT Food City Mountain Basketball Classic. The Mountain Classic is one of the state's most prestigious tournaments.
The Mountain Classic awards more than one hundred scholarships each year to Eastern Kentucky high school seniors pursuing a college degree. WYMT also participates in numerous other community events throughout the year.
WYMT is part of Gray Media which owns and operates stations in 94 markets. Our former employees have moved on to ESPN, The Weather Channel, Discovery Channel, NBC, Miami, Los Angeles, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, and many other markets across the country. WYMT is proud to serve our community and nurture our employees to grow professionally and personally.
The people of Appalachia are full of pride in their home and culture and some of the most welcoming you will find. We have a strong work ethic and are always willing to help our neighbors. You will find a ''mountain family'' atmosphere here at WYMT.
We work hard and have fun! Great station! Great company!
WYMT-TV is looking for a News Director who will lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of broadcast journalists. We are looking for a dynamic news professional who excels with high expectations, passion, and dedication. We want someone aggressive in pursuing breaking news. The News Director will lead and manage news coverage for WYMT and a powerful group of digital and social platforms in a visual and viewer-oriented storytelling style. You will prepare young journalists to develop their skills and move up within the company.
The ideal candidate must be a creative thinker and self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, winning news environment. The News Director must have a strong, working knowledge of community issues and needs and understand sound journalistic principles.
The successful candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
• Work with Digital Content Manager initiating and managing content delivery
• Setting an urgent and aggressive tone in the newsroom
• Making editorial decisions on content
• Effectively communicate goals and plans for the newsroom and ensuring those plans are carried out by all staff members
• Assisting morning, evening and weekend producers and reporters with story development and assignment
• Executing our Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans
• Plan and execute ''Big Story'' coverage
• Holding all staff members accountable on a daily basis
• Conduct regular feedback sessions with all employees
• Participate in editorial and planning meetings
• Work with producers and reporters to enterprise and generate content
• Monitor all newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product
• Ensure the news team follows best practices on all platforms
• Execute news strategies developed by news and station management
• At least 3 years of newsroom experience and a BA in Journalism preferred
• Strong management, communication and people skills required to supervise and interact daily with staff and the community
• Proven leadership ability
• Creativity and passion for news
• Knowledge and understanding in using various digital and social platforms
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task in high stress situations
• Previous news management experience is a plus
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people click on ''apply now''
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d91zq9-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.