WYMT is the CBS affiliate and dominate number one station in the scenic Appalachian Mountains of Southeastern Kentucky. This regional station is located in the small town of Hazard, and has three bureaus and serves more than 25 counties. WYMT provides award-winning local news, weather, and sports coverage. WYMT.com is the region's most powerful digital platform. WYMT is involved and dedicated to the local communities we serve, participating in numerous charities and causes.
A second channel, Heroes & Icons (H&I), allows WYMT to offer even more local programming, including dozens of live high school and college football and basketball games each year. The WYMT/Food City Mountain Basketball Classic has generated more than four million dollars for local students and schools. WYMT has a proven record of turning out solid journalists capable of moving up in the ranks. Several anchors and producers have moved on to top 40 markets in the last couple of years.
You can enjoy all four seasons … from snow-covered mountains in the winter to blooming dogwoods in the spring. With miles of trails and lakes, it is a popular destination for outdoor recreation, hunting, and fishing. The people of Appalachia are full of pride in their home and culture, and some of the most welcoming you will find. We have a strong work ethic and are always willing to help our neighbors. You will certainly find a ''mountain family'' atmosphere at WYMT.
Primary job responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
• Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
• Work with producer and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
• Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
• Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media and attaching images and streaming video
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Deliver unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large
• Collaborate with producers and management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions, and teases
• Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
• Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
• Edit video for broadcasts and the web
• Participate in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
• Degree in broadcast journalism or three years experience.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv1jvn-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.