WXIN-TV and WTTV-TV, Indianapolis is seeking a smart, analytical digital data reporter. Powerful storytelling goes beyond the 75 seconds allotted to a televised story. The ideal candidate will work with our news team to identify, research, and investigate stories through data to craft new and innovative ways of storytelling through analysis and visualizations. Candidate must to be able to provide context and additional layers to a story. The Digital Data Reporter will work with the FOX59 and CBS4, Digital First staff.
The Digital Data Reporter can elevate our journalism with his or her passion for digging deeper into a story through public records, FOIAs, court records, and a desire to look beyond the news release to find the truth.
Candidates should have strong grammatical skills with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit. Experience writing for an online audience and knowledge of AP style is a plus. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with content management systems and SEO.
This position will be a part of FOX59's and CBS4's new digital staff expansion.
• Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reports news stories for digital, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to Digital First managers
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with Digital First managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Expertise with CMS workflow, digital storytelling tools, and the FOIA process
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roo3wp-3-236-231-61-42 in your application.