The WVNS Weekend Meteorologist/MMJ forecast weather conditions, produces and anchors weather reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Produce and present weather/news reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather/news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather / news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• The MMJ part of the job includes reporting three days a week.
• Ability to shoot pictures and edit stories from beginning to end.
• Winning candidate will be posting on the web and social media.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Entry level to 2 years' experience in weather reporting or anchoring.
• Must be able to shoot video and perform non-linear editing. Ability to write story from beginning to end. Knowledge of ENPS helpful.
• Proficiency with Barron's Radar is helpful.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.