WUSA9 News in Washington, DC is looking for a highly-skilled and creative Photojournalist to join our Special Assignment Unit. This photojournalist will be part of a team responsible for shooting and editing investigative stories, as well as other key long-form and daily turn pieces. They'll work closely with reporters and producers to create everything from breaking news investigations to long-form packages and specials to daily news coverage of big events.
This right candidate will be a strong visual storyteller with strong news judgment. They must also be detail-oriented, relish feedback and be willing to try new things. A great attitude, ability to operate live trucks and backpack units is also required.
Experience with Adobe and having a strong background in using After Effects to create graphics is preferred.
• Work closely with reporters and a producer to create everything from breaking news investigations to long-form packages, specials and daily news
• Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories, including but not limited to Edius and Adobe Products
• Produce original content on-air and online
• Use creative production techniques to enhance stories
• Attend editorial meetings, participate in discussions, and suggest story ideas
• Use various lighting techniques and equipment to enhance on-air product and visual presentation
• Operate news gathering vehicle and live backpack units
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Advanced shooting and editing skills . Adobe and After Effects graphics experience preferred
• Current driver's license and ability to operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations
• Proficient with live news gathering tools such as microwave, satellite, and backpack operations
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• Minimum 3 years of experience required
• Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
• Demonstrated news judgment, writing skills, photography experience, and non-linear editing skills
• Must be flexible with schedule, reliable and dependable
• Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Must be able to handle the physical demands of a photojournalist
Work Environment: Outdoors
Physical Demands: Medium work
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Outdoors: performed in various outdoor environmental conditions
Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re2358-3-227-251-94-42 in your application.