WTMJ, the NBC station in Milwaukee, WI, owned by The E.W. Scripps Company, is looking for a Multimedia Journalist who wants to live in the community they serve.
Based in Racine, Wisconsin, this MMJ won't just stop by and leave. They will immerse themselves in the community, bringing depth, context, and accountability to their stories. They will research, write, shoot, and edit stories for multiple platforms.
Set along the shores of Lake Michigan, Racine is 25-miles from Milwaukee and 75-miles from Chicago.
It's home to North Beach, a top-rated freshwater and family-friendly beach. Away from the lake, enjoy hiking, fishing, and kayaking along the Root River.
For those who enjoy the indoors, Racine offers museums, breweries, and world-renowned architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright.
It's known as America's Kringle Capital, with local bakeries serving some of the best oval-shaped Danishes in the country.
The leadership in this award-winning newsroom will support your career and help you grow as a journalist. Apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Receive assignment or evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
• Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
• Organize material, determine slant or emphasis, and write story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
• Shoot video and still photos to illustrate stories.
• Edit, or assist in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
• Appear on television when presenting packaged stories.
• Go live from events or mobile broadcast unit.
• Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
• Differentiate content on a variety of digital platforms from Facebook to Instagram to the station's website.
• Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
• Assist online staff in preparing for multi-media stories.
• Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit, and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
• Generally 3+ years of experience in related field preferred
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
• Computer literacy required including newsroom computer systems.
• Videography and non-linear editing experience.
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
• Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
• Strong broadcast and AP-style writing skills.
• Proficient at posting content to various websites and social media platforms.
• Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
If you are a current Scripps employee, please do not apply on this site. Please access our internal career site at Worklife > My Info > View Open Positions at Scripps.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9vvx7-34-239-154-201-42 in your application.