Weekend Evening Meteorologist, WTKR
WTKR/WGNT, The E.W. Scripps station in Norfolk, Virginia is searching for a Weekend Evening Meteorologist. The Meteorologist will analyze data and present accurate, informative, and engaging weather segments on weekend evenings. The ideal candidate knows how to craft and deliver the weather story from the studio, as well as in the field on assignment. The Meteorologist will research, capture visual content, and edit stories or packages for multiple platforms on a weekly basis. This could be, but is not limited to, a weather-related franchise that would impact the people who live, work, and play in Coastal Virginia and Northeast North Carolina. Come enjoy the beautiful beaches, harbors, parks, and hiking trails our community offers, with more than 210 days of sunshine each year!
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Prepare and deliver daily weathercasts utilizing all available weather data and graphics computers.
• Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular programming as necessary.
• Prepare and deliver all weathercast materials over a variety of mediums, including, but not limited to: TV, Radio, Internet.
• Assist management in evaluations of potential new weather data gathering and presentation computers.
• Receive assignments or evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
• Report live from event sites or mobile broadcast unit.
• May write and produce quality news and weather stories for multiple media platforms.
• May report, write, capture visual content, edit, and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
• Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
• Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
• Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• Bachelors degree in Meteorology preferred
• Generally 3+ years experience in related field preferred
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
• Computer literacy, including weather and newsroom computer systems
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment
• Knowledge of editing systems
• Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
• Proficient at posting content to various websites
• Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Valid driver's license, good driving record, and ability to provide proof of insurance with the company required insurance limits
If you are a current Scripps employee, please do not apply on this site. Please access our internal career site at Worklife > My Info > View Open Positions at Scripps.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8nx3m-44-200-77-92-42 in your application.