MMJ (NEWS/SPORTS) - WTAP
WTAP is THE main voice in the Mid-Ohio Valley. We may be among the smallest TV stations in America, but we are also one of the most dynamic. With state-of-the-art technology, a terrific on-air look, and a dynamic digital presence … you'll be proud of the work you'll do here. And you'll grow quickly because there is so much opportunity! You'll get to explore whatever you want to do in the communications field, whether it's on-camera, behind-the-scenes, or in sales. The WTAP team is involved in the communities we cover. From covering high school sports, to participating in local events, to helping small businesses grow and thrive through commercials and mobile products, WTAP does it all. And we do it all – together.
The Mid-Ohio Valley includes the communities of Parkersburg, WV and Marietta, OH and the 50-mile area surrounding them. It's the kind of place where you can walk down the street and say ''hi'' to people and they'll say ''hi'' right back at you! It's the kind of place where local news-people become like family to the viewers and on-line readers they serve and communicate with. There are wonderful parks, great hiking and biking areas, high-quality restaurants, and shopping – whether you like a mall or the uniqueness of small stores on main street. Our area is big on heritage and the many fairs and festival reflect that passion. Marietta College gives its hometown a New England feel. Ohio University and the community of Athens, Ohio, are nearby.
The Ohio River is the common thread that runs through everything and the Blennerhassett State Park, located on an island of the same name very close to Parkersburg, is a historic and beautiful place to get away to on a summer day.
There's much to see and do within a couple of hours drive from our location in Western West Virginia and Southeastern Ohio. Whitewater rafting, snow skiing and so much more are available in the mountains of West Virginia. The locally situated Mid-Ohio Valley regional airport and airports in Charleston, West Virginia, and Akron, Columbus, and Cleveland, Ohio, give you access to anywhere you want to go. Wherever you may travel though, our area is proud of its history and heritage with roots in oil and industry which have helped shape our region into what it is today. WTAP's commitment to serve the Mid-Ohio Valley, the place that we call home, shows that it doesn't matter what the market size… we are here doing what really matters.
WTAP is looking for a full-time MMJ to cover both news & sports in the Mid-Ohio Valley. Successful candidates will have the ability to deliver compelling stories. Must be a self-motivator, able to meet deadlines, have strong verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrate good news judgment and decision making. WTAP is looking for someone who maintains a positive work environment. This person will have the opportunity to produce & anchor some sportscasts. The schedule for this position typically works Thursday through Monday.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Write, shoot, and edit stories on your own for daily newscasts, website and social platforms
- Generating story ideas and building local contacts
- Pitch and cover enterprising story ideas daily
- Operate LIVE shots using a TVU
- Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Gather information about news through research, interviews, experience, and/or attendance at local event functions
- Follow up on tips that lead to stories
- Recognize that he/she is a high-profile representative of our news organization in the community and conduct himself/herself in a professional and cordial manner
- BS/BA in journalism or communications
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong professional social media skills
- Valid driver's license and a good driving record
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d88nzx-34-228-52-223-42 in your application.