Multimedia Journalist Reporter
The #1 Local News station - WTAJ - has an opportunity for the right person to join our award-winning team. We are looking for a magnificent news presenter for our morning and noon newscasts. To be the right person you must be friendly (on-air and off), be sincere (on-air and off), and want to bring great content to the people in our area. We want a newsroom leader who has a passion for winning every day and can work with the other team members to bring out the best. If this sounds like you, make sure that you apply right away
The News Anchor serves as the primary presenter of news stories and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news viewers/users.
• The CBS affiliate in Altoona, PA seeks a Weekday Morning News Anchor & Multi-Media Journalist to gather, craft, and present content for television newscasts & specials, online, and on social media platforms.
• Duties (including but not limited to):
• Anchor weekday morning newscasts (daily), cut-ins (daily), noon newscasts (regularly), and other segments & programs (as needed)
• Produce weekday morning newscasts (occasionally), cut-ins (daily), noon newscasts (regularly), and other segments & programs (as needed)
• Report live and break enterprise news stories on-air, online, and on social media channels
• Create, write and package news stories for use on-air and online.
• Participate in community functions and make public appearances on behalf of our station and company
• Job Skills:
• Dynamic, confident, and welcoming presenter from the anchor desk and live in the field
• Ability to foster, grow, and daily deliver an energetic, upbeat, comfortable, and positive on-air ''chemistry'' and behind-the-scenes comradery with co-presenters and teammates
• Unselfish team player who daily demonstrates inclusiveness, generosity, and esprit de corps with co-workers
• Strong line producer -- The morning newscasts are staffed with a producer. However, the successful candidate must be confident in this as they will line produce occasionally and assist with line producing duties daily.
• Leverage insatiable curiosity and savvy interpersonal skills to cultivate sources, develop story leads, and regularly break exclusive enterprise and investigative content on all platforms
• Knowledge of the Freedom of Information Act and some practical experience using it
• Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
• Never miss a deadline -- Highly organized and manages time very well
• Work well under pressure --- Ability to handle breaking news and last-minute changes with aplomb
• Superior writing skills --- A flair for tease writing highly preferred
• Mastery of AP writing style for the authoring of on-air and digital content
• Ability to post and manage content, engage with viewers, and cultivate story leads on social media platforms
• Familiarity with digital and social media metrics
• Confident and capable videographer who understands the components of visual storytelling and is able to gather compelling visuals, strong natural sound, and solid interviews with field video gear
• Confident, fast video editor
• Professional, collegial demeanor with colleagues and with members of the public
• Strong, candid knowledge of self and your capabilities
• A hunger to learn, improve, and share the experience with teammates
• Hate to lose and driven to dominate competitors
• 2-3 years live television anchoring and reporting experience preferred
• Technical Skills:
• Strong working knowledge of a digital content web publishing system
• Strong working knowledge of social media platforms publishing and metrics dashboards
• Strong working knowledge of video cameras
• Working knowledge of still cameras
• Strong non-linear video editing skills required. Familiarity with Adobe Premiere video editing software preferred.
• Familiarity with iNEWS rundown and story management system preferred
• Ability to confidently and safely operate a motor vehicle
• Mastery of smart phone hardware and mobile app operation
• Work Schedule is: As Assigned
• Primarily Weekdays 3:45am – 12:45pm. Will also fill in for other news team members in other dayparts and on other days as needed. Community engagement responsibilities regularly occur during non-news times.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.