WTAJ Altoona/State College PA is looking for a dynamic main Anchor to join our award-winning newsroom. This person will anchor newscasts Monday – Friday.
Our anchors don't just ''read the news.'' They produce regular content, understand the importance of digital, are leaders in the newsroom and want to be a part of the community.
That sense of community is the biggest reason our DMA is great. The quality of life is incredible. It's a family-oriented place where you will feel at home from day one.
Our area offers world-class outdoor recreation, such as fishing, hiking, and more beautiful places to camp than you can count. Also, living here is not going to break the bank, the cost of living is still very affordable. Plus, we are still an easy drive to major metropolitan areas, including Pittsburgh, Washington DC, and Philadelphia.
Join the WTAJ family, we have been committed to being part of the fabric of our communities for nearly 70 years and are recognized as the LEADER in local news both online and on air.
The News Anchor serves as the primary presenter of news stories and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.Presents news stories and other content for all platforms.
• Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Produces newscasts and communicates clear direction with team members.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
• Acts as a field reporter as assigned.
• Conducts interviews with news personnel and others.
• Responds to breaking news and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Edits video clips as assigned.
• Writes content for the website and other eMedia platforms.
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Minimum five years' experience in news reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Superior on-air presence.
• Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d92kom-3-229-117-149-42 in your application.